This evening our family launched water bottle rockets! The last two weeks my 4th and 5th grade STEM students have been building and launching them, and this week my wife is going to build and launch them with her 3rd and 4th graders at Positive Tomorrows. This was her opportunity to have a hands-on lesson and field test with the awesome PITSCO Aquaport II Water Rocket Launcher, which I’m borrowing from Sand Springs science teacher, Lisa Seay. (Thanks to our engineering design session at EdCampTulsa a month ago.) I created a short iMovie Trailer on my iPhone 5S with some clips we recorded during our launches tonight. It was a perfect evening in Oklahoma City to launch rockets in the park! We had several dog walkers and bicycle riders who paused to watch the fun.
I uploaded my final, exported movie to YouTube using the free YouTube Capture app, but THIS TIME I remembered to turn OFF “enhancements” including image stabilization and color correction. Last week one of my uploaded launch movies from school was mysteriously reduced from over three minutes to a mere 2 seconds by this “enhancement” option in the app. So beware! These enhancements are turned ON by default by YouTube Capture.
by Wesley Fryer
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, subscribe to Wes' free newsletter. Check out Wes' video tutorial library, "Playing with Media." Information about more ways to learn with Dr. Wesley Fryer are available on wesfryer.com/after.
On this day..
- Inspire Your Students with the 2017 Google I/O Opening Animated Video - 2017
- Redeeming the Family: Blessing Children of Incarcerated Parents - 2013
- Rise Up Oklahoma City: Support Our Public Schools! - 2012
- Brainstorming PlayingWithMedia.com with Popplet - 2011
- 7th Annual American Indian Learner's Conference: May 21, 2011 - 2011
- How are you addressing the digital participation gap? #newlearningculture - 2011
- Scratch, Stopmotion, Lego Robotics, Worm Farming and more at Kids College in Altus - 2010
- Digital audio recorder quest: affordable, powerful, compatible (May 2010) - 2010
- First geocaching experiences with our Garmin eTrex Legend HCx - 2008
- Two great podcast presentations from TCEA 2007 - 2007