These are my notes from Tony Vincent‘s Miami Device breakout session, “Make Marvelous Movies.” MY THOUGHTS AND COMMENTS ARE IN ALL CAPS.
All session resources are on:
Follow Tony Vincent on Twitter:
TONY IS “THE CONSUMMATE EDUCATIONAL TECHNOLOGY PROFESSIONAL – I LOVE LEARNING FROM HIM! I LOVED HOW HE HELPED US BOTH REMINICE ABOUT HOW MOVIEMAKING “USED TO BE IN THE OLD DAYS” OF iMacs & FIREWIRE CABLES IN THIS SESSION, BUT ALSO LEARN SO MANY NEW IDEAS AND PRACTICAL APPROACHES TO USING MOVIEMAKING WITH STUDENTS
by Wesley Fryer
short clips are great because:
– visually interesting
– rarely zooms and pans
– illusion of multiple cameras
– shorter lines
– script just off camera
“CollabraCam: Multicam Social Video Production” is great app for multiple-camera videos using iOS devices, but it wouldn’t work on the wifi network here at MiamiDevice
MY COMMENT: I USED COLLABRACAM BACK IN JANUARY 2012 AND LOVED THE IDEA BUT FOUND IT BUGGY AT THE TIME. HOPEFULLY IT WILL CONTINUE TO IMPROVE!
Splice app for iOS is so easy & free
– can bring together photos, videos, and transitions to combine
– less of a learning curve than iMovie
Technique: use black and white
– usually shows something old or bad
– we just saw this used in many campaign ads: “Can we trust so-and-so…”
Slow motion: makes it more dramatic
Documents 5 by Readdle will let us “open in another app”
– use it to open music (‘open in’) in iMovie
Phenomenon when people record videos: “fire hosing”
– instead of panning, stopping and doing another video: that is best
MY COMMENT: YEP, THIS IS IN WIKTIONARY:
Light tripod for mobile videography Tony likes and has:
transitions tell your audience the time and/or place of the video has changed, so use them sparingly
Action Movie FX app
– takes your video and does a green-screenish effects, Hollywood effects
MY COMMENT: I AM SO GETTING THIS FOR MY CLASSROOM iPAD CART FOR STUDENT VIDEOS!
Horizon – Horizontal HD Video Recorder (lock iOS device to avoid vertical videos)
Edited version of a YouTube video Tony partially shared during his session – I LOVE THIS!
Vertical Video Syndrome – PSA – Edited For Kids
WHAT A FANTASTIC SESSION BY TONY! IF YOU ARE NOT FOLLOWING TONY AND READING / SUBSCRIBED TO HIS BLOG YOU NEED TO REMEDY THAT NOW. 🙂
ALSO DOWNLOAD THE iOS APP “STICK AROUND” WHICH TONY CO-DEVELOPED WITH MORRISCOOKE, THE CREATORS OF “EXPLAIN EVERYTHING.”
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, subscribe to Wes' free newsletter. Check out Wes' video tutorial library, "Playing with Media." Information about more ways to learn with Dr. Wesley Fryer are available on wesfryer.com/after.
On this day..
- Normalizing Audio in an iPad Paper Slide Video with Auphonic - 2016
- Pushing Free and Paid iPad Apps using Meraki MDM - 2015
- Enhanced iPad Videos by Greg Kulowiec at Miami Device 2014 - 2014
- Sketchnote of Show What You Know With Media by Silvia Tolisano - 2014
- Introducing the PlayingWithMedia.com Video Library - 2014
- Show What You Know with Media - 2014
- Beware of iPhone "Melt" App Email and SMS Spam - 2013
- Notes from Gary Stager's Keynote: 2012 Interactive Learning Institute #k20ili - 2012
- This Is What Learning Looks Like by Gary Stager (Nov 2012) - 2012
- Puffin Web Browser for Flash Movies on iOS - 2011
Hello again Wesley!
I really enjoyed this blog as well! I learned a lot from all of the resources you provided! I really like the use of movies in the classroom! Whether you’re using it to engage your students or they’re the ones creating something, making movies is a great idea! Have you thought about trying out Collabracam again? I think that you’re right, and it has probably improved.
Thank you for all of the information in this post! Not to mention, someone else’s blog to look at! Have a great week!