Today has been a big day for me for multiple reasons at Miami Device. One of the biggest was the opportunity to meet Silvia Tolisano (@langwitches) for the first time face-to-face and have lunch together. Silvia has been one of my educational technology “yodas” for many years, starting with her first presentations for the K-12 Online Conference in 2006 (“iPods- iSpeak- iSing- iListen- iLearn”) and 2007 (“Travel through Space and Time”). Today Silvia created a “sketchnote” of my breakout session, “Help Students Show What They Know with Media.” I am a HUGE fan and advocate for sketchnoting or visual notetaking, but this is one of the first times I’ve ever had an attendee make a sketchnote during one of my sessions. (That I know of!) This is fantastic as a teacher and presenter, because of the way (to quote Austin Kleon) this “makes the invisible visible.” What did some participants in my session hear and take away? Silvia’s sketchnote makes some of those things VISIBLE! Thanks Silvia!
If you’re interested in sketchnoting / visual notetaking, here are some great folks to follow on Twitter:
- Silvia Tolisano (@langwitches)
- Giulia Forsythe (@giuliaforsythe)
- Amy Burvall (@amyburvall)
- Rachel Smith (@ninmah)
- Tricia Fuglestad (@fuglefun)
- Sunni Brown (@SunniBrown)
- Mike Rohde (@rohdesign)
These and more are included on my visual notetakers Twitter list, to which you can subscribe using a Twitter app or FlipBoard. I have more examples of sketchnoting on the visual notetaking page of Mapping Media to the Curriculum. The “Visual Notetaking” chapter of my Mapping Media to the Curriculum eBook series is available as a $2.99 download eBook from Amazon.
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, subscribe to Wes' free newsletter. Check out Wes' video tutorial library, "Playing with Media." Information about more ways to learn with Dr. Wesley Fryer are available on wesfryer.com/after.
On this day..
- Normalizing Audio in an iPad Paper Slide Video with Auphonic - 2016
- Pushing Free and Paid iPad Apps using Meraki MDM - 2015
- Make Marvelous Movies by Tony Vincent - 2014
- Enhanced iPad Videos by Greg Kulowiec at Miami Device 2014 - 2014
- Introducing the PlayingWithMedia.com Video Library - 2014
- Show What You Know with Media - 2014
- Beware of iPhone "Melt" App Email and SMS Spam - 2013
- Notes from Gary Stager's Keynote: 2012 Interactive Learning Institute #k20ili - 2012
- This Is What Learning Looks Like by Gary Stager (Nov 2012) - 2012
- Puffin Web Browser for Flash Movies on iOS - 2011