This podcast is a Thanksgiving interview with Shelly Fryer, a self-contained 3rd and 4th grade teacher in an iPad 1 to 1 classroom in Oklahoma City. Shelly’s students recently completed a research project in which they created enhanced eBooks using the Book Creator app for iPad, and published their eBooks as videos to their classroom YouTube channel. In the interview, Shelly discusses how she’s learned to use a Google Site as their classroom “home base website” this year for students to access links she selects and directly adds as needed. Their classroom publishing channels, which include KidBlog, YouTube, and Flickr for photos, are also linked from their classroom website (classroom.shellyfryer.com). Shelly explains how her students are using the free iPad app InstaShare to transfer completed videos to her iPad, so she can publish them to their classroom YouTube channel using the free app, YouTube Capture. She also explains how important it’s been to build a “Maker Culture” in her classroom during their afternoon “Maker Studio” time. Students have created a wide variety of different projects using recycled materials, including a re-creation of the Macy’s Day Thanksgiving parade this week after reading the books “Balloons Over Broadway” by Melissa Sweet and “Milly and the Macy’s Parade” by Shana Corey and Brett Helquist together. She also discusses how she’s continuing to use Twitter and her blog for professional development and learning.
- Follow Shelly Fryer on Twitter: @sfryer
- Mrs. Fryer’s classroom “home base” website: classroom.shellyfryer.com
- Mrs. Fryer’s classroom YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/FryersClass/videos
- Mrs. Fryer’s classroom Flickr photo channel
- Mrs. Fryer’s 2014-15 Classroom KidBlog site
- Create, Make and Learn Workshop in Vermont
- Tony Vincent’s awesome mobile learning website: Learning in Hand (@tonyvincent)
- iPad Media Camp (@ipadmediacamp)
- Book Creator for iPad app by Red Jumper (@bookcreatorapp)
- InstaShare app for iPad (free)
- YouTube Capture app for iPad (free)
- YouTube playlist of student created enhanced eBooks for November 2014 research project
- Classroom Princess iMovie trailer by Justin
- Cloudart iPad app
- “Creating Family Thanksgiving Traditions” by Shelly Fryer
- Shelly Fryer’s blog: www.shellyfryer.com
- Fuel for Educational Change Agents (Wes’ secondary podcast channel)
Subscribe to “Moving at the Speed of Creativity” podcasts!
All past “Moving at the Speed of Creativity” podcast episodes are archived, dating back to August 2005.
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, subscribe to Wes' free newsletter. Check out Wes' video tutorial library, "Playing with Media." Information about more ways to learn with Dr. Wesley Fryer are available on wesfryer.com/after.
On this day..
- Academic Journal Paywalls are Educationally Counter-Productive and WRONG - 2012
- Pocketbook Tablets and Commoditization of Touch Technologies - 2010
- Join us on Classroom 2.0 Live Talking K12Online09 Saturday - 2009
- 4 More K12Online09 Teasers! - 2009
- Reflections about old jails, land appraisal, and high speed infrastructure in Cottonwood Falls, Kansas - 2008
- Thoughts about educational change inspired by videos and blog conversations - 2007
- A workshop first - 2006
- Preferred communication - 2006
- Hawaii iChat pics - 2006
- Nominate a tech-savvy superintendent - 2006