This morning I had my first opportunity to use the iPad app Procreate to create visual notes, or sketchnotes. I added my two new creations to a small but growing album on Flickr which I started a couple years ago when I first discovered visual notetaking and wrote the “Visual Notetaking” chapter of Mapping Media to the Curriculum. My sketchnoting skills are still VERY primitive compared to gurus like Carol Anne McGuire, Amy Burvall and Giulia Forsythe. I know I’ll get better by practicing, however, and I’m embracing this opportunity to feel the inadequacy of “a beginner.” I believe in the value and power of visual notetaking for learning, understanding and communicating, and I want to “walk the walk” of someone who also believes in the importance of “playing with media!” Later this afternoon I created “narrated sketchnotes” with my drawings, using iMovie for iPad, since Procreate supports stop-motion style video exports of files. Since I was creating sketchnotes and narrated sketchnotes at Sunday School and during a sermon at our church, I shared these over on my Christian blog, “Eyes Right,” in the post, “Narrated SketchNotes on Romans 14 & Luke 14.”
If you’re looking for an outstanding sketchnoting app to create visual notes on an iPad, definitely give Procreate a try! I’m looking forward to more opportunities in the weeks and months ahead to further develop my own sketchnoting skills with it!
— Wesley Fryer, Ph.D. (@wfryer) January 12, 2015
by Wesley Fryer
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, subscribe to Wes' free newsletter. Check out Wes' video tutorial library, "Playing with Media." Information about more ways to learn with Dr. Wesley Fryer are available on wesfryer.com/after.
On this day..
- Teaching Conspiracy Theories & Media Literacy to 6th Graders - 2022
- Custom Domain Mapping for a Classroom Google Site - 2016
- Backup iPhone SMS Messages on a Mac - 2016
- FREE on Amazon for Kindle - Hopscotch Challenges: Learn to Code on an iPad! eBook - 2014
- EdCampOKC 2013 Organizer Meeting January 10th [ARCHIVED VIDEO] - 2013
- Quality Counts Education State Reports: $5 Each?! - 2011
- iPhone Mobile Hotspot Capability Coming with iOS 4.3? - 2011
- Time Tracking (time sheet) App for iPhone - 2011
- Observations about Organizational Blogging and Social Media Use - 2011
- Riddikulus! @newsok Please change your policy locking up your archives to paying customers only - 2010