Last weekend at the first annual “Google Summit Oklahoma City” hosted by the EdTechTeam, I shared a breakout session titled, “Google Hangouts 101.” Afterwards, I visited with two librarians I know who attended the session and had some follow-up questions. In talking with them, I realized I hadn’t clearly explained several things in the session which are very important when setting up a Google Hangout on Air. These include:
- Creating a YouTube account in advance, which will be linked to the Google Hangout so it can be archived online later. This now includes sharing your cell phone number with Google for verification / security purposes.
- Making sure you’re using a Google account that has Google+ and Google Hangouts turned ON. This can be an issue for teachers using Google Apps for Education, if the network administrator (local GAFE admin) hasn’t activated those features for teacher accounts. It’s often easier to just use a personal Gmail account to setup/schedule a Google Hangout on Air.
- Going first to Google Plus (plus.google.com) and selecting the Hangouts link to schedule the “Hangout On Air.”
Today in advance of the seventh “STEM Seeds” Google Hangout interview with elementary STEM educator Kevin Jarrett, I recorded an eight minute video demonstrating the steps I use for scheduling and setting up a Google Hangout on Air.
I also added this video to the list included on PlayingWithMedia.com. Most of those videos are only available to subscribers of PlayingWithMedia.com, but several linked at the bottom are public.
by Wesley Fryer
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, subscribe to Wes' free newsletter. Check out Wes' video tutorial library, "Playing with Media." Information about more ways to learn with Dr. Wesley Fryer are available on wesfryer.com/after.
On this day..
- iAuthor an iBook: Creating iBooks on the iPad by Meg Wilson - 2013
- Curriculum Stories with StopMotion Animation by Jan Cosmos - 2013
- Creative Digital Art Projects that put STEAM into STEM by Tricia Fuglestad - 2013
- Digital Storytelling: Get It Write! by Joe Brennan - 2013
- Creating a Worldwide Literacy Community by Pam Allyn - 2013
- Infusing the Arts in the Common Core by Carol Broos - 2013
- Apple Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter incompatible with Tandberg DVI Cable - 2011
- Top 10 Education Apps for iPod Touch and iPhone - 2010
- Oklahoma 1:1 ARRA TitleIID Grants Announcement Date moved to March 25th #ok1to1 - 2010
- Save hard drive space with custom MS Office installation options - 2010