Scott McLeod (@mcleod) has thrown down the gauntlet: What are five things we need to stop pretending about in education?
We have to stop pretending… http://t.co/jhU5rnYkXl cc @gcouros @smartinez @wfryer @coolcatteacher @web20classroom #edchat #edtech #cpchat
— Scott McLeod (@mcleod) April 13, 2015
Here’s my list. When it comes to education, we have to stop pretending…
- We are giving elementary students a grade in “science” when we haven’t provided any opportunities all year for them to conduct an experiment, measure something, collect any data, or form a hypothesis.
- We still live in the 20th century when communication, commerce, and learning opportunities were analog rather than digital.
- Coding is a skill students should wait till high high school or college before learning.
- That educational quality comes from mandated curricular pacing guides, benchmark tests, and a myopic focus on multiple-choice exams.
- That it’s acceptable for over 1000 K-12 classrooms in Oklahoma this year to be without a certified teacher.
Now I’m passing this torch/meme to some #OklaEd bloggers and change agents: I tag Michelle Waters (@watersenglish), Rick Cobb (@okeducation), Kevin Hime (@coach57), Erin Barnes (@elynnlll), and Rob Miller (@jmsprincipal).
Please join us. When it comes to education, what are 5 things that we have to stop pretending? Post on your blog, tag 5 others, and share using the #makeschooldifferent hashtag. Feel free to also put the URL of your post in the comments of Scott’s original post so others can find it!
by Wesley Fryer
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, subscribe to Wes' free newsletter. Check out Wes' video tutorial library, "Playing with Media." Information about more ways to learn with Dr. Wesley Fryer are available on wesfryer.com/after.
On this day..
- Glimpsing the Future with Alec Ross - 2016
- Strong Reactions to Today's Note on Makeup Work - 2015
- Photos from #mobile2012 in Phoenix, Arizona - 2012
- Education as a Superstructure by Graham Brown-Martin - 2012
- iGeography by Jenny Ashby (Workflows for Learning with iPads) - 2012
- Combining 21st Century Skills, Project Based Learning, and iPads - 2012
- Collaboration in Hand with iPads by Tony Vincent - 2012
- Cognitive dissonance from the school internet filtering message - 2010
- Why I'm delaying a Netbook purchase till June - 2009
- Geo-StoryChasing and Gabcast call limits - 2009
Great list, Wes. Thanks for participating. 1 and 5 particularly grabbed me!