John Spencer (@spencerideas) threw down a digital Thanksgiving glove: What are ten FREE things you are thankful for?
Writing idea: what are ten FREE things you are thankful for? #Thanksgiving #engchat #writingprompt https://t.co/97sRidRJJG
— John Spencer (@spencerideas) November 26, 2015
Here are my initial ten thoughts, with the first one contributed by my wife, Shelly:
- Seesaw is a great free platform for sharing classroom media and learning with students, parents and student mentors.
- Tweet Nest is a great free PHP program for creating a searchable archive of tweets, which can function as a “information trap.” (Mine is installed at twitter.wesfryer.com)
- EdCamps are wonderful, free opportunities for educators to share ideas and collaborate.
- Flipboard is a powerful and free digital magazine, which converts Twitter lists into a visually browsable, media-rich newspaper.
- Flickr is a flexible and free platform for finding and sharing digital photos.
- Opinion is a terrific, free iOS app for creating, editing and sharing digital radio shows (podcasts) on the go. (Shelly has a great classroom podcast powered with Opinion!)
- YouTube is a free, device agnostic platform for sharing an unlimited quantity of high definition videos with a global audience.
- The YouVersion Bible is a free mobile app including lots of a bible translations in many languages.
- WordPress is a free, open source website content management and digital publishing platform which powers over 30 different websites I maintain.
- YouTube Capture is a free iOS app which significantly streamlines the workflow of editing and publishing video collages to YouTube.
10 non-digital things I am thankful for:
- Love of our family
- Jesus Christ
- My new job
- Telecommunications technologies which let us stay in touch better than ever
- Audiobooks (ok that is actually digital…)
- Our church family
- My wife
Now it’s YOUR turn!
by Wesley Fryer
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, subscribe to Wes' free newsletter. Check out Wes' video tutorial library, "Playing with Media." Information about more ways to learn with Dr. Wesley Fryer are available on wesfryer.com/after.
On this day..
- Teaching About "Froot Loop Conspiracy Theories" and Web Literacy - 2021
- Students Need Teacher Relationships Not Just Adaptive Software & Videos - 2015
- Consider Upgrading Your Home Cable Modem to DOCSIS 3.0 - 2014
- Hangin' Out with Brad and Drew - 2013
- A Free iPad Alternative to BoardDocs For Meeting Agenda and File Sharing - 2013
- Creating a Customized URL Shortener with YOURLS - 2011
- Stay Connected and Stay Warm with the Media Muff - 2010
- Google OS Could Reduce IT Department Demands - 2010
- 7 Mac and iPhone Software Apps for which I'm thankful - 2009
- Read Facebook in Pirate English - 2009
Love your list, BOTH!!