Over the past 10+ years our family members have recorded a lot of podcast episodes in different places using different apps and websites. My all-time favorite remains AudioBoom (previously AudioBoo) where we still have 227 episodes available online. Some of my favorites there include:
- “USS Arizona Impressions” (very touching spiritual insights from a 6 year old)
- “Flamingos at the zoo” (hilarious example of why we need to ask others to check their perceptions of reality, and why when audio recording with kids “the good stuff usually comes at the end”)
- “Why I am Mulan for Halloween” (just plain cute)
- “Hallelujah – I’m Ready! by The Soggy Bottom Boys of Edmond” (one of the best days of our Friday morning men’s group EVER!)
We also recorded a few podcasts over the years using the iPhone app Opinion, which (like AudioBoom) provided free podcast audio file hosting. As of November 1, 2017, however, Opinion is discontinuing its hosting. For that reason, I migrated our family podcasts on Opinion over to Podiant, so they are now accessible on learningsigns.podiant.co. This was a wonderfully easy (and FREE) process, since we could directly import all the audio files and meta info from the RSS feed. (Episode titles, episode art, podcast show art, etc.)
Just in case AudioBoom goes offline at some point, and to have a backup, I also imported all our AudioBoom podcasts over to Podiant, so those are now available on audioboom.podiant.co. I am OVER THE MOON with how easy this import and migration process was and is with Podiant! A thousand thank you’s to Joe Dale (@joedale) who alerted me to Podiant, and to Mark Steadman (@iamsteadman), the creator and developer of Podiant.
Another alternative platform with podcast import functionality (but not free) is Fireside. I’ve added both of these to the “Radio Shows” page of ShowWithMedia.com.
Cheers Wes. I've heard Podiant is an alternative too.
— Joe Dale (@joedale) October 5, 2017
Tonight I’ve also migrated some other podcasts hosted by Opinion to Podiant, including:
- My wife’s (@sfryer) classroom podcast, “Casady News 12” (formerly the “Room 108 Podcast from Oklahoma City”
- The “Casady Voices” podcast channel I started last year, also linked from our “Casady Learning Showcase” website
Long live podcasting and Podiant!
* Cross-posted to “Learning Signs” (our family learning blog) as “Learning Signs Podcasts Migrated and Backed Up to Podiant.”
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, subscribe to Wes' free newsletter. Check out Wes' video tutorial library, "Playing with Media." Information about more ways to learn with Dr. Wesley Fryer are available on wesfryer.com/after.
On this day..
- Shelly Fryer on Classroom 2.0 Live - Saturday October 15th - 2016
- FREE Open Mic Webinar on Digital Storytelling: Saturday Oct 11, 2014 - 2014
- Student-Created Sequoyah Book Reports, AudioBoo, iPads and QR Codes - 2012
- 4th Graders Interview Michigan State Representative Al Pscholka - 2011
- High Stakes Tests do NOT encourage a 21st Century Skill Focus - 2010
- From TEDxRedmond: Zoe Sprankle on Impact, Effect & Purpose - 2010
- Help needed with Packeteer and Videoconferencing - 2008
- Connecting our world and our generational responsibility to do better - 2008
- Refreshed VoiceThread and Parent Permission form - 2007
- Join our skypecast: When Night Falls discussion! - 2006