My middle school robotics students are having fun and learning a lot, working through the freely available Carnegie Mellon Lego Spike Prime Robotics curriculum unit on “Movement.” I have 6th, 7th and 8th grade students in this class. Since some students always finish faster than others, I’ve created an optional “Lego Robotics Bonus Challenge” for students, to design their own challenges for their classmates to attempt. This week, two of my students created a challenge they named, “Dance Off.”
Here is the challenge summary and requirements:
In addition to creating the challenge, students have to record and share a video of their “TacoBot robot” (or in this case, pair of TacoBots) completing the challenge. Here’s their video. They recorded the video on an iPad, then added copyright-friendly music using iMovie for iPad:
This is the second Lego Robotics challenge I’ve added to our class website for “Bonus Challenges,” and the first student-created challenge! I created a “Red Road” challenge as the first example to get students started.
More resources and lesson ideas relating to robotics as well as media literacy are available on my lesson sharing website.
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, subscribe to Wes' free newsletter. Check out Wes' video tutorial library, "Playing with Media." Information about more ways to learn with Dr. Wesley Fryer are available on wesfryer.com/after.
On this day..
- iPad Musical Creativity Apps - 2016
- Join K-12 Online Organizers Tomorrow (Sat Oct 5) on Classroom 2.0 Live - 2013
- Roadmap to Blended Learning (October 2013) - 2013
- First Multi-part Video Tutorial with MentorMob: Community Voices Interview Project - 2012
- Contrasting Amazon and Apple's PR Event Style: Bezos v Jobs - 2011
- Touring Australia at the 2010 Shanghai World Expo - 2010
- Considering Somalia's Situation: Rated as the #1 Failed State - 2009
- LAME much easier to install on latest Audacity for Mac - 2009
- Where do you find the time? Shirky's Answer - 2009
- Voicethread about Civil War artifacts in Oklahoma - 2007