Educators in all contexts need to open the door to authentic teaching and learning. Conversation, complexity, and messy assessment should be hallmarks of our classrooms and our schools. This presentation was shared as a keynote address at an educational leadership conference held in Fort Worth, Texas, on April 3, 2006.
Program Length: 1 hr, 34 min, 54 sec
File size: 22.8 MB
Show notes for this podcast include:
- Images of the doors to open: the modern door, the door that lets in light, the old door
- Commodore Computer image
- Dr. David Jonassen and Complex Problem Solving
- Remembering the Holocaust
- Robert Frost: The Road Not Taken – 1915
- Bloom’s Taxonomy
- IMAX – Magnificent Desolation: Walking on the Moon 3D
- David Warlick’s Landmarks Blog Meister
- Global Voices
- Darren Kuropatwa’s Calculus Class Blog (Manitoba, Canada)
- Lucas Arts: Empire at War
- Stats on Kids and New Media from FETC
- Marc Prensky’s website
- “Technopoly: The Surrender of Culture to Technology by Neil Postman
- Science Education in the 21st Century: Using the Tools of Science to Teach Science by Dr. Carl Wieman
- Train image
- Save Darfur
- “Savage Inequalities: Children in America’s Schools” by Jonathan Kozol
- Google Earth
- Avian Bird Flu (Nature Magazine coverage – includes like to Google Earth kml file)
- “A Whole New Mind: Moving from the Information Age to the Conceptual Age” by Daniel Pink
- Hedgehog Science Fair Enhanced Podcast
- My Google Earth social bookmarks
- Digital Citizenship info
- Digital Citizenship podcast interview with Mike Ribble
- Learning Is Messy – Blog
- NPR’s This I Believe
Subscribe to “Moving at the Speed of Creativity” weekly podcasts!
Receive an email alert whenever a new Speed of Creativity podcast is published!
Check out Wesley's new ebook, "Mapping Media to the Common Core: Volume I." (2013) It's $15!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Common Core / Curriculum."
On this day..
- Lessons on Suicide Prevention from Rich Van Pelt - 2013
- Digital Citizenship: Learning to Cross the Street in a Digital World - 2013
- Joys of iPad2 VGA Out - 2011
- iPad First Impressions: It's Magical - 2010
- PD at Wells Junior High School (Maine) - 2010
- AudioBoo will upload over EDGE - 2009
- College students: Win $$$ for developing social networking apps - 2008
- links for 2008-04-03 - 2008
- Head faking kids to love programming and change the world - 2008
- KidCast Podcasting Awards - 2007