This podcast is a recording of a presentation made by Stephen Downes during Global Learn Day on October 8, 2006 and recorded via Skype and Call Recorder. I apologize for the keyboard noises which were inadvertently also recorded along with Stephen’s excellent presentation. Despite this distraction, I think Stephen’s message was superb and well worth sharing. He discussed the essential elements of the Elearning 2.0 environment, similar to what Tim O’Reilly has termed Web 2.0, and discussed eight essential characteristics of effective networks in this environment. I think Stephen does a wonderful job synthesizing technological innovations with learning theory and pedagogy, providing us with an excellent blueprint to use when creating and interacting in blended learning environments with learners of different ages.
Program Length: 24 min, 11 sec
File size: 5.6 MB
Show notes for this podcast include:
- My notes from Stephen’s presentation
- Stephen Downesâ€™ blog and website
- Stephen’s audio recordings (including a link to his podcast)
- Global Learning Day post on Stephen and his preso
- Future VLE – The Visual Version (Virtual Learning Environment, also called a PLE: Personal Learning Environment)
- What Is Web 2.0: Design Patterns and Business Models for the Next Generation of Software by Tim Oâ€™Reilly
- Upcoming ITForum where Stephen will be presenting again on these issues: Oct 16, 2006
- Global Learn Day X: October 7 and 8, 2006
- K-12 Online Conference 2006 blog and info: Unleashing the Potential
Receive an email alert whenever a new Speed of Creativity podcast is published!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Curriculum."
On this day..
- Comparing Podcast Audio Normalization Options - 2015
- OTA - EncycloMedia 2014 Participant Reflections - 2014
- Podcast382: A Digital Witness in Tahrir Square, Egypt in January 2011 - 2011
- Is Baby Duck Syndrome Holding Back Digital Literacy Development at Your School? - 2010
- No Constitutional Right to Bear Cell Phones Exists - 2010
- Over 80% of Two Year Olds Have an Online Presence - 2010
- Educon 2.2 in Philly: January 29 - 31, 2010 - 2009
- Oklahoma 2008 Veteran's Day Videoconference - 2008
- Mobile phone counseling for teachers from My Mobile Guru - 2008
- What Common Sense Media didn't tell parents about WikiPedia but should have - 2008