This podcast is a recording of Dr. Steven Beering’s keynote address at our luncheon today during the 2008 OU K-20 Center’s MidWinter Conference in Norman, Oklahoma. Dr. Beering is the Chair of the National Science Board of the United States. He was appointed by the President of the United States and his appointment was confirmed by the U.S. Senate. Dr. Beering shared key highlights of a recent report he just shared in Washington D.C. with our President and other national leaders, regarding steps that need to be taken to strengthen our educational support of students in STEM fields: Science, Technology, Engineering and Math. Dr. Beering has had and continues to have a remarkable career in public service, which included (as Dr. Lee Williams shared in the introduction) being the medical doctor for the original Mercury 7 astronauts in the 1960s. Amidst calls for a focus on “right brain” thinking by author Daniel Pink and others, it is worthwhile to listen to Dr. Beering and his perspectives on the importance of “left brain” analytical thinking and scientific aptitudes as well as dispositions for the future of our nation and world. Many thanks to Dr. Beering for granting permission to share this presentation here as a podcast.
- The National Science Board’s website is http://nsf.gov/nsb/.
- A National Action Plan for Addressing the Critical Needs of the U.S. Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics Education System
- The K-20 Center at the University of Oklahoma
Subscribe to “Moving at the Speed of Creativity” weekly podcasts!
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide!MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- EdTech Situation Room on Wednesday Nights - 2016
- MinecraftEDU Tips: An iPad Narrated Slideshow Created with @HaikuDeck & @ExplainEvrythng - 2014
- OKC #wordpress Users Group Meetup Notes: Jan 2011 #okcwp - 2011
- Fotopedia Heritage for iPad #edapps - 2011
- Martin Institute's Spring Feast Conference in Memphis: 3-4 Feb 2011 #micon - 2011
- Interactive Digital Native Map and the What's Your Issue Videography contest - 2010
- Audio and Video Sync Problem with QuickTime Player 7 YouTube Upload - 2010
- PollEverywhere supports poll grouping - 2010
- Podcast222: Using Technology for Building Learning Communities by Alan November - 2008
- Podcast221: Balancing Access and Freedom with Safety and Liability Protection - 2008