This is a podcast recording of Malia Triggs’ presentation “Cartooning Around in Language Arts” at the 2011 Mississippi Educational Computing Association annual conference in Jackson on February 8th. Malia is a 5th and 6th grade teacher in Forrest County School District. She discussed how elementary language arts teachers can use the website “Go Animate” with students to help them create short videos in conjunction with writing assignments meeting language arts standards. The official session description was: Learn how incorporating free online animation programs into your language arts lessons can guarantee engagement and excitement, while covering all your objectives in one project. You will explore such reading objectives as, setting, character, author’s purpose, etc. You will explore language skills such as, vivid language, figurative language, steps in the writing process, etc. Student work samples will be available, as well as, a timeline of assignments and MS framework objectives met.
- Malia Triggs’ profile page on her district Ning
- Malia Triggs’ blog on her district Ning
- GoAnimate for Educators and Schools
- GoAnimate (Make Your Own Cartoons and Animations Easily)
- Forrest County School District
- My text notes from Malia’s session
- Mississippi Educational Computing Association (MECA)
- First XtraNormal Video: MySpace Suicide Prevention
- Create animated cartoon videos with GoAnimate
- Fuel for Educational Change Agents (secondary podcast channel)
Subscribe to “Moving at the Speed of Creativity” weekly podcasts!
Check out Wesley's new ebook, "Mapping Media to the Common Core: Volume I." (2013) It's $15!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Common Core / Curriculum."
On this day..
- Online Petition: Oklahoma City Public Schools Must Adopt Balanced Internet Content Filtering Policies - 2012
- 5th Graders Develop Problem Solving Skills with Lego WeDo Robotics - 2012
- Set Up a Moderated Class Blog on Posterous - 2011
- Beware of Inappropriate Ads on Free Classroom Websites - 2011
- Favorite photos and videos from METC 2010 - 2010
- Planning outline for METC 2010 keynote - 2010
- Scan at higher resolutions with Preview on your Mac - 2010
- PollEverywhere grappling with Monetization and Free Educator Plans - 2010
- Using Skype to Collaborate (Classroom 2.0 Live this Saturday morning) - 2009
- Sub-$100 Netbooks are coming - 2009