This is a short paragraph I submitted for our school’s December newsletter for parents, discussing what we’ve been doing in STEM class in November and are doing this month supporting “The Hour of Code.”
IES Students in STEM in November learned to “code” on our class iPads using the free app, Hopscotch (www.gethopscotch.com). A free eBook with tips for drawing geometric shapes and creating simple games is linked from our STEM class website (stem.wesfryer.com). In December students are using MinecraftEDU software (www.minecraftedu.com) to digitally build, code, and collaborate. These units of study in STEM class support the nationwide “Hour of Code” (www.hourofcode.com) December 9-15, which focuses on computer coding, computer programming jobs, and related skills. Please visit the Hour of Code website, ask your STEM student to tell you about what they’ve built in Hopscotch and MinecraftEDU, and discuss the jobs which can be open to them in the future if they keep studying science, math, engineering, and computer programming!
These are two videos I’m sharing with my STEM students this week to help raise their awareness about “The Hour of Code” and jobs available to computer programmers. Some of my students wrote short posts on their class KidBlog sites today (linked at the top of our STEM website) about The Hour of Code.
Check out Wesley's new ebook, "Mapping Media to the Common Core: Volume I." (2013) It's $15!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Common Core / Curriculum."
On this day..
- Speak Words Others Can Understand: Avoid Jargon - 2012
- Reluctance to pay for readable news - 2010
- Seedlings 100th Show Tonight! - 2010
- YouTube video by Willow Smith goes viral, leads to recording contract #cmtc10 - 2010
- Digital Citizenship for our Schools @alicebarr #cmtc10 - 2010
- 6 Word Stories About 21st Century Learning and The Power Law #21c6w - 2009
- Digital tools to analyze the President's speech on Afghanistan - 2009
- Make any text into a computer-generated audio file with Snow Leopard - 2009
- Comparing oral fluency at ages 4 and 5, discussing sausage ball cooking - 2008
- Our Oklahoma Digital Learning Team (ODLT) Hawaii 2007 Adventures begin - 2007