Welcome to Episode 467 of the Moving at the Speed of Creativity podcast, a show by Dr. Wesley Fryer (@wfryer) focusing on digital creativity, media literacy, digital literacy, digital citizenship, instructional technology integration and engaged learning both inside and outside the classroom. This episode features interviews with both Shelly Fryer and Sarah Fryer, about Sarah’s “gap year” in 2018-19 following high school graduation. Sarah graduated in 2018 from Classen School of Advanced Studies in Oklahoma City Public Schools, and majored in drama at ClassenSAS. Rather than head directly to college, Sarah took a gap year to work, take dance classes, get more involved in the music ministry of our church, and get a better idea of what she wants to study and do after high school. In the first part of this podcast, Wesley and Shelly reflect on the gap year experience for Sarah, how it came about, what happened, and what lessons were learned. In the second part, recorded earlier, Sarah reflects on her gap year. In both segments, Shelly and Sarah offer advice to other students as well as parents who might be considering a gap year, and encouragement to consider whether or not a gap year is the right choice and “the best fit” for you or your child. Check out the podcast shownotes to referenced resources, including some other blog posts relating to parenting, high school, and helping kids make decisions about college and life. Contact links for Shelly and Wesley Fryer are also included in the shownotes. Feedback on this podcast episode is welcome!
- Subscribe to Moving at the Speed of Creativity Podcasts
- Shelly Fryer (@sfryer) – Blog
- Wes Fryer (@wfryer) – Blog
- Podcast460: UCO and OCCC Concurrent Classes, GitHub in CompSci, and Elementary Coding Lessons (March 2018)
- Lessons Learned on our Family’s College Journey (April 2016)
- Advice for a College Graduate (May 2012)
- Batting 1-1 With Three More Pitches Coming (Feb 2016)
- Casady School Extended Programs
- Casady School Primary Division Program (Montessori-Based Private Independent Preschool in OKC)
- Financial Peace University by Dave Ramsey (@DaveRamsey)
- Classen School of Advanced Studies (@ClassenSASOKC) in Oklahoma City Public Schools (@okcps)
- Poteet Theater (St. Lukes Methodist Church in Oklahoma City)
- Forensic Science Undergrad Major at the University of Central Oklahoma
- UCO Concurrent Enrollment Classes
- OSSM Summer Programs (Oklahoma School of Science and Mathematics)
- FORGE Orientation at the University of Central Oklahoma
- Forensic Science Learning Living Community at UCO
- Podcast interviews recorded on an iPhone with Ferrite Recording Studio
- Podcast audio edited with Audacity and normalized with Auphonic
All past “Moving at the Speed of Creativity” podcast episodes are archived, dating back to August 2005.
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide!MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Replace Chromebook 303C Broken Screen with Screen Surgeons - 2013
- Cell Phone Computers or Mobile Learning Devices (MLDs) - 2010
- The importance of VOICE and empowering others to share - 2010
- Best games for kids on the iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch - 2010
- A mentor and new media luminary takes a blogging hiatus - 2009
- Got digital wishes for your classroom? Disintermediate your edtech funding process! - 2008
- Wanted: K12 Online Conference Committee Volunteers! - 2007
- Spanked and disgusted by malware - 2006
- Thoughts on citizen journalism - 2006
- Nominate a disruptive teacher - 2006