This podcast is a skype interview with Gene Fisher, President of the Board of Directors of the Watts Learning Center in South Los Angeles, California. The Watts Learning Center was recently chosen by the California Charter Schools Association as the “Charter School of the Year.” I had the good fortune to meet Gene at a restaurant in Holland, Michigan in April 2007, when we were both in town for different presentations. In this interview, Gene shared insights into the educational philosophy which has and continues to guide teachers, parents, and administrators at the Watts Learning Center. As a charter school, the Watts Learning Center is able to flexibly adapt, differentiate, and meet the specific needs of the students and families it serves. The importance of relationships, high expectations for student learning, and a global perspective on learning and life are hallmarks of the educational philosophy operationalized at Watts Learning Center. South Los Angeles is undoubtedly blessed to have educational visionaries and leaders like Gene Fisher who make the promise of a high quality education a reality for many students and families. We can all learn a great deal from the continuing educational journey of Gene and the other educators serving their community at the Watts Learning Center.
- The Watts Learning Center in South Los Angeles, California
- Los Angeles-Based Watts Learning Center Named “Charter School of the Year” – High-Performing Inner-City Charter School Crack 800 on API, Outperforming Most Schools in District
Receive an email alert whenever a new Speed of Creativity podcast is published!
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, subscribe to Wes' free newsletter. Check out Wes' video tutorial library, "Playing with Media." Information about more ways to learn with Dr. Wesley Fryer are available on wesfryer.com/after.
On this day..
- WordPress Security Tips (May 2013) - 2013
- iPads for Administrators? - 2010
- Get Out of Your FUNK, Cut the JIVE! Make Your Classroom Come Alive!!! - 2009
- Getting a Global Perspective - The Power of Collaborative Projects by Dyane Smokorowski - 2009
- Summer Professional Development Ideas - 2008
- links for 2008-05-01 - 2008
- Let's do more experiments in elementary science - 2006
- Bullying and NAFAA games - 2006
- Moving Words from a US Marine leaving Iraq - 2005
- Thoughts on Memorable lines from "Macbeth" - 2005