This podcast features a recording of Quyen Arana’s keynote address at the 2007 EncycloMedia Conference in Oklahoma City. Quyen is the Associate Director for Technology and Industry Partnerships for the K-20 Center at the University of Oklahoma, and also serves as the Director for the Institute for Biotechnology Partnerships. In the latter capacity, Quyen “serves to enhance biosciences innovation in Oklahoma and bridge the Oklahoma bioscience community with K-12 education.” The K-20 Center has received over $20 million in grant funding the past several years, and is emerging as a national leader in educational research focused on game-based instruction in schools, effective school pedagogic change utilizing technology as a catalyst, and other issues related to student engagement, participation with media, and literacy development. Quyen is a leading educational thinker and change agent throughout the state of Oklahoma, as are other members of the OU K-20 Center Staff. Quyen’s call for teachers and school leaders everywhere to focus on the issues of engagement, student participation with media technologies, and cultural change within our schools as educators cultivate sustained professional learning communities is one we all should heed.
- i.Shui.Tech: education, technology, science, art, convergence (blog of Quyen Arana)
- Quyen Arana’s bio at the OU K-20 Center
- The K-20 Center at the University of Oklahoma
- IDEALS Framework of the OU K-20 Center (framework for research-based best practices)
- Quyen’s recent blog post referenced in his keynote: Time Magazine: Geniuses need projects and collaboration, not isolation
Subscribe to “Moving at the Speed of Creativity” weekly podcast
Receive an email alert whenever a new Speed of Creativity podcast is published!
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, subscribe to Wes' free newsletter. Check out Wes' video tutorial library, "Playing with Media." Information about more ways to learn with Dr. Wesley Fryer are available on wesfryer.com/after.
On this day..
- CDR Electronics in Oklahoma City: A GREAT Place to Buy Used iOS Devices & Macs - 2012
- Turn off Automatic iPhone Backups in iTunes with DiskAid - 2012
- Handwriting Resource Websites - 2012
- Day 1 experiences with a class blog on 21classes - 2010
- PBworks spam cleanup on Great Book Stories - 2010
- Paper-based Oxford English Dictionary days may be limited - 2010
- Mexico Cleaning up Police Corruption? - 2010
- Welcome to back to school PD: Let's start live blogging - 2009
- Spam Twitter Followers Proliferating - 2009
- Presentation for Oklahoma State School Board Association (Celebrate Oklahoma Voices) - 2009