After much thought and discussions about ways I may be able to engage in meaningful dialog with my local school board members here in Edmond, Oklahoma about digital literacy and 21st century skills, I recorded a 17.5 minute video today which I posted to Google Video and am burning to DVD to mail tomorrow to all our board members. It is my hope that I’ll be able to meet individually and collectively with our board members to discuss these issues and locally advance the cause of 1:1 computing as well as digital literacy. Our students need to be regularly creating, communicating and collaborating using digital technologies in our classrooms, and this is my attempt to communicate this case to my local school board.
In the context of discussing digital citizenship I referenced two reports, the National School Board Association’s 2007 “Creating and Connecting – Research and Guidelines on Online Social – and Educational – Networking” report as well as Scholastic’s “2008 Kids & Family Reading Report- Reading in the 21st Century: Turning the Page with Technology.”
I also recorded a second video about 21st century skills our students need which I am compressing and uploading now, and will include on the DVD I send to my board members.
Feel free to utilize this video or any of these ideas for your own advocacy efforts for 21st century skills and the digital learning revolution.
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, subscribe to Wes' free newsletter. Check out Wes' video tutorial library, "Playing with Media." Information about more ways to learn with Dr. Wesley Fryer are available on wesfryer.com/after.
On this day..
- Faster Home WiFi Via Ethernet Backhaul - 2020
- July PD in OKC: Google Docs, iPad Media Camp & Scratch Camp - 2012
- Storychasing NASA History at Space Center Houston - 2011
- Dell Inspiron duo Convertible Tablet at the Microsoft Store - 2011
- The Marketing Slogans I'd Give AT&T - 2011
- Screentime stats for youth and the Open Learning Exchange via @fastcompany - 2010
- Quickstart guides for Posterous and iPadio - 2010
- More book recommendations about the Middle East and Islam - 2010
- iTunes Account for a Child without a Credit Card - 2009
- 21st Century Skills Our Students Need - 2008