These are my notes from DanCoyote ZeroG SkyDancers at MODLA in Second Life on 10 July 2008. This performance was/is our closing MODLA keynote.
According to the SkyDancer’s page on Second Life Wikia:
In mid 2006 new resident DanCoyote Antonelli envisioned a completely new art form in Second Life, the Hyperformalist live peformance.
Based on this vision he created the ZeroG SkyDancers and recruited other residents interested in bringing performance to the next level in Second Life.
By combining choreographed dancers, cutting edge attachments and original music DanCoyote set the standard for live performances.
The routines include dancers moving in practiced patterns while wearing attachements which create synchronized visual effects. Typically performed in darkened venues, the sky dancers remain generally invisible throughout their performances.
The resultant effect of combining audio, visual and movement effects has been universally acclaimed by audiences throughout Second Life.
Act 1: The birth and development of consciousness
During the performance the perspective of us as an audience was continually changing and moving, as the skydancers moved around the stage.
The stage was like a theater in the round, reminded me of Star Wars and the performance in Episode III which is Palpatine watching when Anakin comes to talk with him. Very ehterial, fluid, at times disorienting, magical.
The combination of music with the movement of the avatars was at time reminiscent of Native American dances I have seen.
Like some artistic dance performances I’ve seen and experienced in the past, this has a very etherial feel to it. Because the dancers are able to fly and move in ways that are impossible in real life, however, there is a real mystical and magical quality to this…
I think we have reached the finale, but I don’t think think the F2F audience here in Missouri realizes that we are supposed to be clapping!
This is really not an event or experience that I think I can adequately communicate about with text and static images
Now DanCoyote is going to introduce each of the skydancers individually…
– some are 2nd and 3rd generation skydancers. I’m not sure what that means…
– some of the skydancers are also members of the Second Life Ballet
Wow. This was an amazing conclusion to the conference. Certainly unlike any other conference closing keynote I’ve seen or experienced!
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, subscribe to Wes' free newsletter. Check out Wes' video tutorial library, "Playing with Media." Information about more ways to learn with Dr. Wesley Fryer are available on wesfryer.com/after.
On this day..
- Experimenting with WordPress on the Google Cloud with Bitnami - 2016
- Transfer Video from an Android Phone to an iPad - 2014
- iPad Media Camp FAQs (July 2013) - 2013
- Convert Text Into Audio for Free (on a Mac) - 2011
- Great case for Educators building PLNs for PD - 2010
- Through my Students' Eyes - 2009
- Ready to mobile-blog our vacation - 2009
- Places to post video for higher education types - 2009
- They Have Names - 2008
- Beyond the Virtual Fieldtrip and the Collaborative Project...KC3: A National Challenge - 2008