This podcast is a recorded interview in the car with 10 year old Alexander. Two years ago, as a third grader, Alexander read the book Eragon after he saw the movie and it become his “home run book.” Literacy scholar Jim Trelease coined the phrase “home run book” to describe a book which someone reads that hooks them on reading and propels them to thereafter be a member of the literacy club. Since Eragon and Eldest (Christopher Paolini’s sequel to Eragon) are two of his favorite books of all time, today’s book release of Bristinger, the third book in the series, was understandably a day of great excitement for Alex. In the car to and from the Hastings bookstore the first time we tried to purchase the book this morning (before the store actually opened in Brownwood, Texas) I interviewed Alexander about his home run book experience, why reading for him is now a “flow” experience. (In his words, “like a movie playing in my head.”) He discusses his favorite book series titles to date: Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Artemis Fowl, Harry Potter, and the Eragon series. Alexander also discusses the differences between listening to someone else reading him a book, and now being able to directly read and experience a book by reading it.
- Brisinger by Christopher Paolini
- Flow (psychology) – WikiPedia
- Brisinger (English WikiPedia entry)
- The Inheritance Wiki
- Website Shur’tugal
- ReadingFirst, NCLB, School Accountability, and our Educational Future (14 Aug 2008 post)
- Thank you, Rick Riordan! (26 May 2008 post)
- The power of reading (25 Jan 2007 post)
- Gifts from Christopher Paolini (20 Jan 2007 post)
- Podcast80: Encouraging Reading by Stephen Krashen (2 Sept 2007)
- Encouraging Reading by Stephen Krashen (1 Sept 2006 post)
- The Power of Reading by Dr Stephen Krashen (31 Sept 2006 post)
Subscribe to “Moving at the Speed of Creativity” weekly podcasts!
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, subscribe to Wes' free newsletter. Check out Wes' video tutorial library, "Playing with Media." Information about more ways to learn with Dr. Wesley Fryer are available on wesfryer.com/after.
On this day..
- A Return to the Simple Pleasures of Daily Blogging - 2020
- 2nd PLAYDATE PD Event in Oklahoma: Saturday October 4th! - 2014
- iPhone5 Weight & Form Factor - 2012
- Blocked Sites in China - 2010
- Purchase a new webkinz or say goodbye to WebKinz World Online - 2009
- An Exemplary Interactive Mobile Conference Website (Vision 2020 Conference) - 2009
- Deer Creek (Oklahoma) Students and Teachers Using Skype - 2009
- Edmond Parents Protested President Obama's Speech - 2009
- Learning 2.0 Conference opening panel - 2007
- Fourier Systems Nova5000 - 2006