This podcast is a recording of Dr. Renee Hobbs’ keynote at the 2008 OTEP Reading Conference on September 19, 2008 at Rose State College in Midwest City, Oklahoma. The title of her keynote was “Media Literacy as Literacy for the Information Age.” The conference theme was “Critical Literacy for Adolescents.” The Oklahoma Teacher Enhancement Program (OTEP) is a Title II Teacher Quality Enhancement Grant awarded to the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education by the U. S. Department of Education. Renee Hobbs is one of the nation’s leading authorities on media education. She is the director of the Media Education Lab at Temple University, and over the past 20 years, she has helped bring media literacy to the forefront, educating thousands of students across the United States through her collaborative work with state education agencies and media companies. Hobbs is also the co-founder of the Alliance for a Media Literate America (AMLA), the national membership organization of the National Media Education Conference; the co-principal investigator at the Pennsylvania Department of Public Health; and the co-director the Ph.D. Mass Media program at Temple.
- Dr Hobbs’ presentation slides on SlideShare
- Media Education Lab at Temple University
- Alliance for a Media Literate America (AMLA) – The national membership organization for media literacy
- Ypulse Interview: Renee Hobbs, Goddess Of Media Literacy
- Access, Analyze, Act: A Blueprint for 21st Century Civic Engagement
- Key Media Literacy Resources from the Media Education Lab
- 2008 OTEP Reading Conference Speaker’s Page
- Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education
Subscribe to “Moving at the Speed of Creativity” weekly podcasts!
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, subscribe to Wes' free newsletter. Check out Wes' video tutorial library, "Playing with Media." Information about more ways to learn with Dr. Wesley Fryer are available on wesfryer.com/after.
On this day..
- YouTube Tips and Tricks (September 2020) - 2020
- An Invitation for You: Fall 2016 School Digital Citizenship Survey - 2016
- Seeking Funding for an Oklahoma School NCLB Left Behind - 2013
- Adding Audio to a WordPress Sound Blog - 2011
- Using Social Networking Tools to Increase Discussion in the Classroom by Karin Perry - 2010
- Did You Know 4.0 - The Mobile Revolution is Here - 2009
- Chinese Parental Expectations, Creativity, and Chinese Film Recommendations - 2009
- EverNote iPhone Voice Memos - 2008
- Proof a T-1 line is insufficient - 2008
- Content filtering in Communist China versus an Oklahoma school - 2007