Many thanks to Chris Atkinson not only for contributing to an amazing list of chapter book recommendations for my 8 year old daughter and I to consider (which continues to grow and I have compiled into a new Amazon wish list this evening) but also for linking me to Dr. Mark Geary’s collected Windows PhotoStory book trailers for early elementary students. Links for late elementary book trailers as well as adolescent reader book trailers are also available. Mark’s TechLearning article “Making Book Trailers with Photo Story 3” from December 2007 describes how to use PhotoStory3 to make book trailers like these.
These may be great videos which can be used to help SOME kids get more excited about reading new books, but the huge bummer is that the PhotoStory3 WMV format in which these are published online is not Mac compatible. (Even with Flip4Mac and Perian installed.) For our statewide Celebrate Oklahoma Voices digital storytelling project, we get around this PhotoStory3 format incompatibility issue by having all participants (PhotoStory as well as iMovie users) upload their videos to our Ning learning community, where videos are transcoded into the cross-platform Flash format.
Even though these book trailer videos sound like they might be great, they are literally “digitally irrelevant” to the thousands of students and teachers online throughout the world who are using Macs. Here’s a worthwhile project suggestion for Dr Geary’s students next semester: Create a new (and free) Ning website, and upload all the existing book trailer videos there. Then ANYONE on ANY computer platform will not only be able to view and share these videos, but also rate and comment on them within a learning community. That would take this excellent web 1.0 published project into the world of web 2.0, interactive publishing.
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, subscribe to Wes' free newsletter. Check out Wes' video tutorial library, "Playing with Media." Information about more ways to learn with Dr. Wesley Fryer are available on wesfryer.com/after.
On this day..
- 10 Things I Learned Visiting Egypt - 2017
- An Invitation: Share #BobTaughtMe - 2015
- Results of Grade 4-5 Interactive Writing School Survey (Oct 2014) - 2014
- Introduce Students to Coding with Hopscotch for iPad - 2013
- Basic, Intermediate and Advanced MinecraftEDU Challenges - 2013
- Milk Carton Recycling and Composting in Maine - 2010
- Adding a Flickr Contact on Apple TV - 2010
- Professional Portfolio and Resume Ideas - 2010
- Share the gift of Doodle this holiday season - for FREE! - 2008
- USS Oklahoma Memorial Dedication - 2007