This podcast features a recording of the January 2, 2009, live morning radio show interview in Winnipeg, Manitoba, on CJOB|68 with Darren Kuropatwa, minus the news and advertisement breaks. The conversation focused on Darren’s utilization of scribe posts by his Calculus and Pre-Calculus students at Daniel McIntyre Academy in Winnipeg, the imporance of numeracy as well as literacy, and the power of online learning communities to support as well as motivate students inside and outside the classroom. Darren was joined in this series of interviews by Sheryl Nussbaum-Beach, Dean Shareski, and Wesley Fryer, who along with Darren are co-conveners of the free and global K-12 Online Conference. K12Online is an online conference for teachers, by teachers, amplifying the possibilities for using digital technologies as well as online learning communities to support engaged learning. Mark Rabena, one of Darren’s former students also joined in our discussions. Many thanks to radio program host Richard Cloutier for sharing these stories with radio listeners around Manitoba as well as the world! We had about 35 educators in a backchannel chat room (via Chatterous) discussing these conversations, listening to the radio program live as it was streamed over the Internet. Kudos to Darren not only for his outstanding leadership for educators in his school and nation, but also for his work in bringing about this mainstream media radio interview in Canada. I hope this is the first of MANY more mainstream media interviews we’ll see in the months and years ahead about the K-12 Online Conference and the innovative ways digital technologies are being used by educators like Darren to engage students in the learning process.
- A Difference – Blog of Darren Kuropatwa
- The K-12 Online Conference
- Student Mark Rabena’s posts to the AP Calculus AB (2007-08) blog
- CJOB|68 Radio in Winnipeg, Manitoba
- 21st Century Learning – Blog of Sheryl Nussbuam-Beach
- Ideas and Thoughts of an EdTech – Blog of Dean Shareski
- Moving at the Speed of Creativity – Blog of Wesley Fryer
Subscribe to “Moving at the Speed of Creativity” weekly podcasts!
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, subscribe to Wes’ free newsletter. Check out Wes’ video tutorial library, “Playing with Media.” Information about more ways to learn with Dr. Wesley Fryer are available on wesfryer.com/after.
On this day..
- Family New Years Green Screen Video – 2016
- Why National Geographic on the iPad is Amazing – 2013
- Free 1 Year Bible on YouVersion – 2011
- Learning from Angela, Kern and Konrad – 2010
- Netbooks or eBook Readers for Students? – 2010
- Skype Virtual Guest Speakers and Collaboration wiki – 2009
- Resurrecting old conference notes before the days of blogging – 2009
- Paraphrased quotations from today’s radio interviews in Winnipeg, Manitoba – 2009
- Encourage hands-on science inquiry! – 2008
- Blogging to order and control consciousness – 2007