This podcast is a recording of Dr. David Thorburg’s presentation “Science Education from a Technology Leader’s Perspective” at the 2009 CoSN Conference on March 11, 2009. The official conference program description of this session was: K-12 education science, technology, engineering and mathematics is a hot topic today, with conversations spanning from the classroom to the Oval Office. Technology can be used in ways that help address many of the challenges facing K-12 STEM programs. This dynamic talk explores five challenges: Shortage of qualified teachers; Learning that science is a vibrant human activity, cutting back on hand’s- on science instruction; Science as inquiry and projects; Connecting science to other subjects. By moving toward a more constructionist approach to science instruction, taking advantage of various cutting-edge probe-ware tools and other computer based resources, many of these challenges can be addressed in ways that greatly increase student appreciation for more analytical subjects. Our economic recovery requires a highly educated populace, and this presentation tackles some of those challenges head-on.
- Dr. Thornburg’s website: The Thornburg Center for Space Exploration
- My text notes from this session
- PhET: Free online physics, chemistry, biology, earth science and math simulations (University of Colorado at Boulder)
- Explore Learning Gizmos
- PASCO’s Spark
- Futurework 2020
Subscribe to “Moving at the Speed of Creativity” weekly podcasts!
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, subscribe to Wes' free newsletter. Check out Wes' video tutorial library, "Playing with Media." Information about more ways to learn with Dr. Wesley Fryer are available on wesfryer.com/after.
On this day..
- Managing Digital Footprints - for grandparents (March 2014) - 2014
- GeoMap: Google Maps Engine Lite Hiroshima Project - 2014
- More Minecraft Lessons from a 15 Year Old (March 2013) - 2013
- Preliminary Report of a National Survey of School Leaders on the Use of Web 2.0 in Schools - 2009
- Science Education from a Technology Leader's Perspective by David Thornburg - 2009
- K12 Horizon Report (CoSN 2009) - 2009
- The Challenges of Web 2.0 by Bob Martin - 2009
- Spinning history and the means of publication - 2008
- Debating Ataturk, more bans on user created content - 2007
- PictureAustralia with Flickr - 2006