This podcast is a recording of the luncheon presentation by Dr. Edward Hammond, President of Fort Hays State University, at the Rotary Club of Manhattan, Kansas, on April 30, 2009. Dr. Hammond shared the extraordinary story of Ft Hays State University and their relationship to the government as well as educational institutions in China. He began his address by placing the relationship of Ft Hays State University, the state of Kansas, and the United States overall with China. From foreign investment in U.S. debt instruments, to oil interests, to grain needs, to aerospace needs, China has a deep relationship with the United States as well as Kansas specifically. Before hearing Dr. Hammond present, I was not aware of the “surrender” policy of China for its own residents when they return to their own country with U.S. dollars. I also had no idea that Ft Hays State University had played and continues to play such a leading role in both providing educational opportunities in China by U.S. professors as well as subsidizing lower tuition costs for Kansas students as a result of this innovative partership program. Many thanks to Dr. Hammond for both sharing these thoughts at Rotary in Manhattan and giving me permission to record and share his message here as a podcast. There are more English speaking citizens in China than there are in the entire United States. The statistics shared by Dr. Hammond paint a clear picture of the increasing importance of China to US relations in the years ahead. Higher education leaders should take note and pay attention to the message of Dr. Hammond as well as the trail he has helped to blaze through these partnerships with Chinese leaders as the President of Fort Hays State.
- Fort Hays State University (Hays, Kansas)
- Bio of Dr. Edward Hammond, President of Fort Hays State University for the past 22 years
- FHSU International Partnerships – Taking Advantage of the Perfect Storm: Developing International Partnerships and Cross Border Education
- How A University In Western Kansas Went Global: Fort Hays State University’s Chinese-American Bachelor Of General Studies Program (Summer 2005)
- Chinese school is rah-rah for U.S.-style campus (Dec 2007)
- FHSU on iTunes University
- Rotary International in Manhattan, Kansas
- Rotary International
Subscribe to “Moving at the Speed of Creativity” weekly podcasts!
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, subscribe to Wes' free newsletter. Check out Wes' video tutorial library, "Playing with Media." Information about more ways to learn with Dr. Wesley Fryer are available on wesfryer.com/after.
On this day..
- Oklahoma Governor Mary Fallin Misunderstands Testing and School Quality - 2017
- 30 Reasons I Love Teaching Elementary STEM - 2015
- Quick Edit Video: Water Bottle Rocket Launch - 2014
- 3rd Graders Research Animals with 4 iPads, AudioBoo and PebbleGo - 2013
- iPad Media Camp in Oklahoma City: July 11, 12 & 13, 2012 - 2012
- Common Core Guitar Songs, Lady Gaga Remixes & Commercial Underwriters - 2012
- Google Docs on the iPad with Office2 Pro - 2010
- Conan on the iPad - 2010
- Powerful Ingredients for Digitally Interactive Learning in Amarillo May 16th - 2009
- Adware blocked by OpenDNS - 2008