Today and tomorrow, I’m sharing a 2.5 hour presentation entitled, “Empowering 21st Century Learners” with educators in Canyon ISD, Texas, just south of Amarillo. I’ve uploaded and shared my presentation slides on Slideshare. If SlideShare is blocked in your location, you can alternatively download a PDF version directly from my website.
I used the following short session description on SlideShare:
A presentation by Wesley Fryer for teachers in Canyon ISD, Texas, on August 16-17, 2010. Literacy, learning & work are changing dramatically… as learning leaders, we must also. In our professional learning, by sharing our work as well as that of our students, and utilizing digital storytelling, we can embrace the power of blended learning and empower others to become 21st century learners.
Some of the referenced links in this presentation are included on my presentation wiki page, “Share Your Ideas: Platforms for Publishing.” During the session, I’ll share excerpts of the following videos with attendees.
Brad Paisley’s music video, “Welcome to the Future”
Kim Cofino‘s pre-conference keynote for the 2009 K-12 Online Conference, “Going Global: Culture Shock, Convergence and the Future of Education” (the first seven minutes – supporting documents on going-global.wikispaces.com)
Gotta Keep Reading – Ocoee Middle School
The Dirty Thirties by Jeanette Hale (Celebrate Oklahoma Voices)
My six year old this week, taking her first bite of mountain trout which she caught in a stream with the help of mom
My closing thoughts for this session are:
- Don’t tell me it can’t be done.
- Kids just like her are in YOUR class this year.
- They deserve YOUR best as a learning leader.
Hopefully these thoughts, slides and resources will inspire educators in Canyon ISD and elsewhere as we begin the 2010-2011 academic year here in North America!
edtech, education, leadership, technology, texas, canyon, canyonisd
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, subscribe to Wes' free newsletter. Check out Wes' video tutorial library, "Playing with Media." Information about more ways to learn with Dr. Wesley Fryer are available on wesfryer.com/after.
On this day..
- Evaluating AllGirlArcade.com for my 11 Year Old Daughter - 2011
- Visualizing A Twitter Feed-based Digital Newspaper with Flipboard - 2010
- Using text messaging to prevent school violence (and other crimes) - 2010
- Geography 2.0: A Juicy Way to Mash Up Learning - 2008
- Education, Learning and Media Megatrends - 2008
- Ecto 3 Alpha released, not recommended - 2007
- Real versus fake learning experiences - 2007
- Great list of open source software tools - 2006
- More cities and towns considering municipal wireless - 2006
- Great planet image - 2006