The two minute video on Oklahoma City’s KOCO.com Channel 5 website, “Grant Provides Laptops for Students,” shares information about the exciting rollout of Macbook laptops in August 2010 to 8th graders at Del Crest Middle School in Del City, Oklahoma. Dr. Don Wilson, the director of instructional technology for MidDel Schools, is among those interviewed during the segment.
You can read more about the the planning and rollout of the 1:1 laptop project at Del Crest by reading Don’s post from June on the Storychaser’s Mobile Learning blog, “Enhanced 1:1 Learning Management.” If you’re an educator at a 1:1 school or in a 1:1 district and would like to contribute a post to this team blog, instructions are available on the site’s about page. We have 19 other schools around Oklahoma rolling out laptops this fall to students and teachers as part of an ARRA TitleIID grant program administered by the Oklahoma State Department of Education. Laptops for Mid-Del’s project at Del Crest were funded through federal Title I funds allocated by the district.
On June 4th, many 1:1 educators in Oklahoma converged on Crescent High School to learn from their teachers who have been using laptops with students for several years. See the following posts from that day for more info and background:
- Welcome to Crescent PS: Teaching in a 1:1 Laptop Environment
- Jim Askew on Individualized Online Curriculum and Transforming Learning
- Teaching English in a 1:1 Classroom by Julie Cook
- From Lesson Plans to Online Curriculum by Jim Askew (Amazing open Chemistry curriculum)
- Cross-Curricular Teaching (Electives/Core) in a 1:1 Environment
- Tried and True Tips for Working in the 1:1 Environment
Hopefully we’ll see more mainstream media coverage of Oklahoma’s 1:1 learning projects in the months ahead, as well as more blog posts like Don’s on the Storychasers Mobile Learning Blog and elsewhere. If you’re a 1:1 educator, where’s your platform for publishing and sharing? If you don’t have one now, you need to set one up soon and USE it!
View 1:1 K-12 Schools in a larger map
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, subscribe to Wes' free newsletter. Check out Wes' video tutorial library, "Playing with Media." Information about more ways to learn with Dr. Wesley Fryer are available on wesfryer.com/after.
On this day..
- Who Tells Your Story? Podcasting Conference: Saturday, September 14, 2019 in Oklahoma City - 2019
- WordPress OKC Meetup Tips (August 2015) - 2015
- Enhanced / MultiMedia version of Playing with Media eBook Available - 2011
- When you fall, get back up: It matters how you finish (inspirational video) - 2010
- YouTube and iTunes fame paying off for Alabama family - 2010
- I Need my Teachers to Learn (an amazing song and video by Kevin Honeycutt) - 2009
- OKC WordPress Aug09 Users Group Notes - 2009
- DRM, Libraries and Digital audio book checkout limitations - 2008
- 100 new Internet users per minute?! - 2007
- To Blog or Not to Blog? You Decide - 2006