This week on Tuesday my daughter’s second grade class took their fall field trip to the Oklahoma City Zoo. I brought my iPhone and iRig microphone, and the girls in our group used the camera along with the free app AudioBoo to record some reflections during our visit. We recorded nine AudioBoos (all less than 60 seconds each) and three videos. Here are the “digital artifacts” we created documenting our field trip. This kind of mobile storytelling and archiving is exactly the sort of mobile media use by students I want to encourage through my eBook, “Playing with Media: simple ideas for powerful sharing,” as well as website SHARE: Playing with Media. These are all examples of “no-edit audio recording” and media creation following “the ethic of minimal clicks!”
If you listen to ANY of these, check out the first one about the flamingos. Rachel had some misperceptions about them “easily having some of their legs cut off” which we were able to discuss because of this AudioBoo recording! If she hadn’t recorded and shared her perceptions, I don’t think the adults in our group would have realized her misunderstanding. Great example of the value of having students explain their perceptions and ideas with an audio recorder! Check out the Audio Page of playingwithmedia.com for more links to free, no-edit audio tools.
Flamingos at the Zoo (AudioBoo)
Turtles and Koi (AudioBoo)
Head-butting Goats (AudioBoo)
Cool facts about California Sea Lions (AudioBoo)
Clown Fish in the Anemone (AudioBoo)
The Giant Anteater (AudioBoo)
Galapagos Turtles (AudioBoo)
Baby Elephant (AudioBoo)
3 Month Old Baby Tigers Playing (AudioBoo)
We also recorded three movies during our field trip.
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, subscribe to Wes' free newsletter. Check out Wes' video tutorial library, "Playing with Media." Information about more ways to learn with Dr. Wesley Fryer are available on wesfryer.com/after.
On this day..
- Interactive App and Software Options for Human Anatomy Classes - 2015
- Digital Storytelling Resources from Classroom 2.0 Live (Oct 2014) - 2014
- Check Out Teetsie: A GameSalad-created iPad Game - 2013
- Amplify Art with Media (Oct 2013) - 2013
- Captivated by the Tesla S Series Electric Car in Portland, Oregon - 2012
- K-20 Innovative Learning Institute Nov 4th in Norman, Oklahoma - 2010
- WordPress Site Caching with Amazon S3 & CloudFront - 2010
- Google Docs Adds Folder Sharing - 2009
- Remember to turn YouTube channel comment moderation ON - 2009
- K-12 Online Conference 2008 starts tomorrow! - 2008