3rd grade students are working with their principal, Carla Smith, to write articles about school news and record their articles as a “radio show.” Radio WillowWeb from Willowdale Elementary School in Omaha, Nebraska, is an inspiration to these young Storychasers. Tony Vincent (original founder of Radio Willowweb and author of the “Learning in Hand” website) along with Maine educator Bob Sprankle (the creative genius behind the New York Times acclaimed “Room 208 Podcast”) are also major inspirations for the idea of a student Storychasers club.
A website for the group is being established and their first program will be published soon. The Storychaser student clubs in Yukon are pilot groups starting in Spring 2012. Hopefully, if things continue to go well, this is program which will expand to other schools in months to come. Learn more and sign up for updates on the Storychasers’ mailing list by visiting storychasers.org/clubs.
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, subscribe to Wes' free newsletter. Check out Wes' video tutorial library, "Playing with Media." Information about more ways to learn with Dr. Wesley Fryer are available on wesfryer.com/after.
On this day..
- Lessons Learned as a School Director of Technology - 2019
- Narrated Sketchnote on Mindfulness and Resiliency - 2016
- Classroom Creativity: The Longer Path to Success - 2016
- 5 Hours of Professional Development Podcasts from Yukon Today - 2013
- Think Differently and Support AutismOklahoma.org - 2012
- Why I Upgraded my EduBlogs Account - 2011
- Sometimes our toughest teachers prepare us the best - 2011
- Communication in the Digital Age (via ShareTabs) - 2010
- Embedding Video in a VoiceThread: Role Playing Annabeth Chase from The Lightning Thief (book) - 2010
- Sir Ken Robinson on Creativity and Transforming our Schools (ITSC 2009) - 2009