If you’re a librarian or work with library media specialists, I hope you’re planning on attending tomorrow’s Library Journal and School Library Journal‘s virtual conference, “The Digital Shift: Libraries, Ebooks and Beyond.” The conference is ALL online and registration is still open, including ‘site licenses’ when multiple people at your school or in your school district (or library) will attend together! That’s how librarians in Yukon Public Schools in Oklahoma are planning to attend tomorrow.
I’ll be sharing some ideas in the afternoon breakout session, “Create Your Own: Maker Culture in the Library.” Here are the slides I’ll be using tomorrow.
I’ve added these to my workshop/conference breakout session wiki, “Creating Multimedia eBooks.”
I’ve also added links for two different iPad apps which can be used to create multimedia eBooks ON an iPad: Creative Book Builder (a $4 app I just learned about today via this Appolicious list) and Book Creator for iPad, which I’ve used extensively with students and educators. Watch this 13 minute video, “How to use Creative Book Builder,” to learn more about this first app. I won’t be highlighting this app in detail in tomorrow’s webinar, but I may mention it as another example of how tablet devices can be used to CREATE as well as read/consume multimedia eBooks. Where “Book Creator for iPad” has a simpler interface which may appeal more to elementary and middle school students, Creative Book Builder includes a wide variety of more technical options that could make it best for high school and university students. Creative Book Builder is also available for Android! I haven’t played with it yet but plan to soon. As you can see in the tutorial video below, it’s possible to insert rich media into your EPUB eBooks with it including images, audio and video form sources like DropBox.
Bring on the “maker culture” in the school library!
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, subscribe to Wes' free newsletter. Check out Wes' video tutorial library, "Playing with Media." Information about more ways to learn with Dr. Wesley Fryer are available on wesfryer.com/after.
On this day..
- Professional Development and Identity - 2019
- Reflections on Comancheria, Identity and Frontier Terrorism - 2017
- Igniting Innovation with the 2014 K-12 Online Conference - 2014
- 7 Part VideoConference Course: Mapping Media to the Common Core (Nov 2013 - Feb 2014) - 2013
- Best iOS Apps for Audio Recording & Sharing (Oct 2012) - 2012
- WordPress 3.01 Export Problems - 2010
- 1:1 in a High School Science Classroom - 2009
- More Marco Torres at ACTEM 09 - 2009
- Marco Torres at ACTEM 09 - 2009
- Reconsidering boundaries on K12Online Presentation Mirroring - 2008