Today in the “apps playground” at the 2013 iPad Academy hosted by Chicago Public Schools, the awesome elementary teacher Autumn Laidler (@MsLaidler) taught me how to use the free iPad app “Little Story Maker” to create ebooks which include BOTH your recorded voice and “text highlights.” Like many books on the website Starfall.com, an eBook with “text highlights” has individual words highlight or change color as they are read aloud. I’ve wanted to create eBooks like this for a long time, and I’m so excited to know how to do it now! The main disadvantage of “Little Story Maker” is that it does not currently support any kind of eBook export, so you can only view the ebooks you and your students create on the same iPad used to make them. Autumn shared that the $2 app “Story Creator Pro” also supports audio recording and text highlights, and does support ebook exporting. I have not tried it yet, however.
This evening I recorded a six minute screencast demonstrating how “Little Story Maker” eBooks look and sound, and how you can create them.
The photos used in this enhanced ebook were originally created as a “5 Photo Story” in the July 2013 iPad Media Camp, and shared on my 5 Photo Stories blog on Blogger.
(cross-posted from PlayingWithMedia.com)
Technorati Tags: ipad, playingwithmedia, ebook
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, subscribe to Wes' free newsletter. Check out Wes' video tutorial library, "Playing with Media." Information about more ways to learn with Dr. Wesley Fryer are available on wesfryer.com/after.
On this day..
- How Are We Preparing Students for the Artificial Intelligence New Normal? - 2017
- First Android-Edited Video: WeVideo App - 2014
- Wii Remote Interactive Whiteboard for $60 - 2014
- Mapping Media to the Common Core with iPads (Aug 2013) - 2013
- What is it about me you can’t teach? Five Simple Things to Reach Struggling Learners - 2012
- Present to 14 iPads Simultaneously with Idea Flight - 2011
- Lessons Learned About Enhanced or Multimedia EPUB eBook Validation - 2011
- Tell A Story in 5 Photos for Educators: S'mores! - 2010
- Discouraging lecture hall technology abuse - Encouraging interactive discussions - 2009
- iPhone GS Black Screen During Calls Mystery Solved - 2009
[…] Moving at the Speed of Creativity | Create iPad eBooks with Recorded Audio and Text Highlights FREE […]
[…] this weeks project being centered around Meographs, I thought that this post from Moving at the Speed of Creativity was perfect to reflect on this week. Wesley Fryer shows how there is a free app in the “app […]