These are my notes from the Oklahoma City WordPress Meetup on March 30, 2015. I’m so excited to be able to attend this month because our monthly session meeting was last Monday night rather than tonight! Eric Johnson (@aerychj) from the Automattic Mobile Team (@automattic) is one of our presenters tonight! He’s addressing the topic, “Getting Mobile!” MY THOUGHTS AND COMMENTS ARE IN ALL CAPS.
Eric mainly works on mobile apps for Automattic, stays in touch with what is happening on the mobile web.
- In January 2014 Mobile usage exceeded PC usage (CNN Money)
- January 2015: 80% of internet users own a smartphone, 47% own a tablet
- search is most common starting point for mobile research
Next month, Google will be considering “mobile friendliness” for Page Rank!
86% of people’s time is spent in apps today, just 14% on the mobile web
89% is media consumption, 11% is mobile web media consumption (via smartinsights.com)
article: “Apps Solidify Leadership Six Years into the Mobile Revolution” (April 2014)
Get into Google Analytics and do some analysis on your mobile traffic:
- what % is mobile traffic?
- what is your mobile % bounce rate?
- what is your duration of visit
- what is the average screen resolution of people visiting your site?
What is your page rank today for your search terms? Are you page 1 today?
Highly recommended for WordPress users: Google Analytics by Yoast
Yoast SEO Plugin is also great
3 ways to go mobile with your site (all 3 Google considers good mobilizations)
- responsive (same HTML for desktop and mobile, CSS adapts layout to different screen sizes, this has been a big trend in design circles)
- dynamically served (server detects device, different HTML depending on device, WPtouch & Jetpack are examples)
- separate mobile site (mobile specific version at separate URL, example is DudaMobile)
How do you choose what is best for your needs?
RESOURCE I FOUND: Google’s “Optimize Google Sites for Mobile” page
What about apps?
- Check out AppPresser: It takes a WordPress site and “appifies it” for a fee, they generate the app but you have to submit to Apple
- AppPresser is build on top of PhoneGap
“The days of building an app and getting rich are over.” (building an app that complements an existing/separate “channel” that you have is another story, however)
Via @morganestes: oEmbeds were added to WordPress in version 3.9, great to use direct URLs to YouTube videos instead of custom embed code on WordPress because they become responsive in most responsive themes
Automattic has completely redesigned the entire WordPress.com site with new code, huge changes
WP API is a new version of WordPress site connectivity which is not YET in the “WordPress core,” but is coming soon
- This will address/solve the problems now present with XML-RPC (these are some of the issues addressed by WordPress security plugins like WordFence and iThemes Security)
Eric did a short demo of the free WordPress iOS app
- You can now choose a visual editor on the app to show and use rich text without HTML markup
- You can subscribe to other RSS feeds to read within the app now, not super-easy to do still tho
Recommended podcast: “A Tour of the WordPress Database” via Lynn Dye (@LynnToTheRescue)
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, subscribe to Wes' free newsletter. Check out Wes' video tutorial library, "Playing with Media." Information about more ways to learn with Dr. Wesley Fryer are available on wesfryer.com/after.
On this day..
- Create an All-iPad Class Radio Show with AudioBoo, Bossjock, GoodReader, & SoundCloud - 2013
- Sharing Apple iCloud Calendars and Google Calendars - 2013
- Spots available for April 2011 Storychasers Workshops - 2011
- An easy case for digital curriculum: Weight - 2010
- Learning about password security early, individual student logins at school - 2009
- Digitizing my life - 2008
- Cyberwarfare capacity and partial quotations by journalists - 2007
- TeacherTube and Zamzar rather than YouTube - 2007
- Stop Cyberbullying: Move Out Into Mainstream Media - 2007
- McREL Podcasts, Del.icio.us & Switchpod - 2006