This podcast is a reflection by Dr. Wesley Fryer on some of the educational technology related challenges as well as aspirations he currently has as a school director of technology, technology integration coach, and after-school “STEAM Studio” co-teacher. These challenges include cultivating a school learning culture supportive of creativity, innovation, whimsy, and cross-curricular connections. They also include helping students transition into and succeed within a comparatively open-ended and less structured after-school learning environment, where they are invited to create, play, and express themselves while developing both digital literacy as well as artistic skills. Last of all, the challenges and aspirations include more “geeky” topics like planning for school infrastructure fiber optic line upgrades, managing bandwidth on a network with increasing numbers of IP-based surveillance cameras, learning about traffic and packet analysis tools, and firewall access reporting. Refer to the podcast shownotes for links to many of the referenced resources from this podcast including Dr. Mitch Resnik’s new book, “Lifelong Kindergarten: Cultivating Creativity through Projects, Passion, Peers, and Play” and the upcoming (October 2017) free online class “Learning Creative Learning” by the MIT Lifelong Kindergarten Group.
- Dr. Mitch Resnick on Twitter: @mres
- Dr. Resnick’s new book: Lifelong Kindergarten: Cultivating Creativity through Projects, Passion, Peers, and Play
- Creative Learning Spiral by Mitch Resnick
- Learning Creative Learning: A Lifelong Kindergarten Course and Community (starting again in October 2017)
- Lifelong Kindergarten Group at MIT
- STEAM Studio resources with Megan Thompson (@seeingnewshapes) and Wes Fryer (@wfryer)
- EdSurge Podcast: “MIT’s Mitch Resnick on What ‘Toy Story’ Gets Wrong About the Future of Play”
- Designing for Wide Walls by Dr. Mitch Resnick
- Puppet Videos (on ShowWithMedia.com)
- Classy Graphics with Google Drawings Fall 2017 by Tony Vincent (@tonyvincent)
- “Silly Puppet” Week 1 Videos (Megan and Wes’ initial creations are last in the series)
- Optic Fiber Cable (English WikiPedia)
- Meraki Networking Gear: Switches and APs
- Smoothwall Firewall
- Packet Analyzer (English WikiPedia)
- About WireShark (network protocol analyzer)
- Creating a Layer 7 Firewall Rule (with Cisco Meraki)
- Check out “The EdTech Situation Room” (@edtechSR) the weekly webshow and podcast Wes co-hosts with Jason Neiffer (@techsavvyteach)
- Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter: @wfryer
Subscribe to “Moving at the Speed of Creativity” podcasts!
Join online course/community Learning Creative Learning, based on my #LifelongKindergarten book, starting Oct 18 https://t.co/2zLUdHJ0ZI pic.twitter.com/ADtzfOO7yF— Mitchel Resnick (@mres) September 20, 2017
Talked w/ MIT’s @mres about his new book “Lifelong Kindergarten,” & about what he thinks Toy Story movies get wrong https://t.co/awEXGPB4xh— Jeff Young (@jryoung) September 19, 2017
??? Join me for a 6 week online class this fall! Explore graphic design with Google Drawings. ?https://t.co/R22FB078Or pic.twitter.com/IyPrMR1yQW— Tony Vincent (@tonyvincent) August 10, 2017
All past “Moving at the Speed of Creativity” podcast episodes are archived, dating back to August 2005.
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, subscribe to Wes' free newsletter. Check out Wes' video tutorial library, "Playing with Media." Information about more ways to learn with Dr. Wesley Fryer are available on wesfryer.com/after.
On this day..
- A Return to the Simple Pleasures of Daily Blogging - 2020
- 2nd PLAYDATE PD Event in Oklahoma: Saturday October 4th! - 2014
- iPhone5 Weight & Form Factor - 2012
- Blocked Sites in China - 2010
- Purchase a new webkinz or say goodbye to WebKinz World Online - 2009
- An Exemplary Interactive Mobile Conference Website (Vision 2020 Conference) - 2009
- Deer Creek (Oklahoma) Students and Teachers Using Skype - 2009
- Edmond Parents Protested President Obama's Speech - 2009
- Learning 2.0 Conference opening panel - 2007
- Fourier Systems Nova5000 - 2006