Welcome to a special episode of “Moving at the Speed of Creativity,” recorded from the Mt Moriah cemetery in Deadwood, South Dakota on June 26, 2021. Members of our family went on the “Boot Hill Tours Historical Tour of Deadwood,” and I audio recorded the culminating portion at the graveside of both Wild Bill Hickock and Calamity Jane. These real people from the “wild west days” of the late 19th century were mythologized by dimestore novelists and journalists, who used the outlines of their characters to weave wild (and sometimes sordid) tales of conflict, romance, adventure, and violence. Our tour guide, Joe Williams, is a local educator and school administrator who has done extensive historical research about the area of Deadwood and specifically the lives of Wild Bill and Calamity Jane. In his narration, he dispels some of the myths surrounding these two characters and sheds light on their lives and deeds. Check out the podcast shownotes for related links to this tour and area.
- Boot Hill Tours of Deadwood, South Dakota
- Wes’ Flickr photo album from Deadwood (June 2021)
- History of Deadwood from Deadwood.com
- Wild Bill Hickock’s English WikiPedia article
- Calamity Jane’s English WikiPedia article
- Mt Moriah Cemetery English WikiPedia article
- Wes Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer)
- Wes’ professional blog: speedofcreativity.org
- Wes’ Media Literacy and Spanish Curriculum / Lessons: mdtech.casady.org
- Wes’ periodic newsletter: “Media Literacy with Wes”
- Other ways to learn with Wes: wesfryer.com/after/
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, subscribe to Wes' free newsletter. Check out Wes' video tutorial library, "Playing with Media." Information about more ways to learn with Dr. Wesley Fryer are available on wesfryer.com/after.
On this day..
- Comparing TeachMeet and EdCamp PD Models - 2015
- Voices of #iste11 - The 1:1 Digital Learning Revolution in Schools (Travis Allen - iSchool Initiative) - 2011
- Voices of #iste11 - A Newly Minted FourSquare Mayor in Philadelphia - 2011
- Voices of #iste11 - Copyright Advice for Teachers from Kristin Hokansen - 2011
- Voices of #iste11 - A Louis and Clark Story About Mercury & Thunderclapper Pills - 2011
- Voices of #iste11 - $15 per Month For Netbooks In New Zealand: BYOD = Buy Your Own Device - 2011
- Jason Ohler on Digital Literacy & Digital Storytelling #iste11 - 2011
- Separate Feedburner chicklets for blog posts and podcasts - 2010
- CNN provides a tutorial on retweeting - 2009
- CoverItLive Blog of Malcom Gladwell's Opening NECC Keynote - 2009