Miguel Guhlin just IMed me from a free web-based instant messaging service, Meebo. If you are in a location with authoritarian and repressive IT policies (like maybe China or…. a U.S. school district!) Meebo may provide a way for you to use IM.
Of course, if this works for you, it would also work for your students…..
The tension wrought by disruptive technologies like instant messaging is at times troubling, but also very informative to watch and analyze. Virginia Postrel wrote about this thoughtfully and eloquently several years back in “The Future and Its Enemies: The Growing Conflict Over Creativity, Enterprise, and Progress”.
Which side are you on?!
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide!MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Make Balance and Intentionality Your Screentime Education Goal - 2019
- Using ffWorks and FFmpeg for Video Compression - 2018
- Gangnam Style Videos: USNA vs USAFA vs Westpoint - 2012
- iPhoto '11 First Impressions - 2010
- UNT Socialists Protest Upcoming Speech by former President Bush - 2010
- Amazed by Student Creativity Using Scratch! - 2010
- RockMelt: A Chrome-based Browser for the Facebook Generation - 2010
- Riding the Shanghai Maglev at 267 miles per hour (431 km/hr) - 2009
- Boingo WiFi Charges in China - 2009
- Exploring, Learning and Communicating with Wordle - 2008