This podcast is a recording of a presentation by Sylvia Martinez at the TCEA (Texas Computer Education Association) conference in Austin, Texas, on February 8, 2007. Sylvia is the CEO of “Generation Yes,” an extremely successful program in which students provide technical and instructional technology support for teachers and their peers in schools. In addition to learning technical support skills, students in these programs learn to work independently, document their work, collaborate with others, and cultivate a variety of interpersonal skills that are essential for success in the 21st century workforce. GenYes offers curriculum for students to earn certifications while serving on the help desk staff for their school and district, which they can take forward with thim on their resumes into the workforce. All schools should consider starting a GenYes program as an elective course or in another format. Our need for technical and instructional technology support will only grow in schools in the years to come, and it is essential that schools constructively leverage the tremendous potential of technical expertise that resides within their student population.
- Generation Yes
- My text notes from Sylvia’s session
- Generation YES blog
- An enhanced version of this presentation (PowerPoint slides synchronized to the audio) is also available from the GenYes website. (50 MB)
- A flickr image, notes and links about my “wanna-be podcave”
Receive an email alert whenever a new Speed of Creativity podcast is published!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Curriculum."
On this day..
- Email Mail Merge Custom PDF Certificates with autoCrat for Google - 2016
- Workflow: Moderate Student Email-Posted Videos to YouTube - 2015
- No-Edit Audio Podcasting Videoconference (referenced links) - 2014
- A Story about Web Accountability and Club Penguin - 2013
- Brookstone Mini-Projector for iPhone4 - 2012
- All bloggers are not scrape blog pirates - 2011
- High Stakes Testing Must End in the USA - 2011
- Local Advocacy Update in Alabama by Bruce Ellard - 2011
- 2011 Alabama Legislative Session Update (10 March) - 2011
- Oklahoma City Podcasting Club - March 2010 Meeting Notes - 2010