I am exceedingly troubled to read Kathy Sierra’s post from yesterday, “Death threats against bloggers are NOT ‘protected speech’ (why I cancelled my ETech presentations).”
I’m not entirely sure what to say. That doesn’t happen often.
I hope law enforcement officials can find and prosecute those behind these malicious and damaging virtual attacks.
My prayers are with you, Kathy. What a sad thing it is to see digital tools used to incite fear and bludgeon the psyche of any human being. When that person is someone we know, even if our “knowing” is at an intellectual level due to the virtual window blogs provide into the mind and thinking of that person, our feeling of sadness can be even even more acute.
Andy Carvin and Robert Scoble are proposing a blogging fast in response. I’m attending a conference this week, so if I stop blogging I’m afraid I might stop learning 90% of the things I’m going to hear in the next few days… I’m also not sure if a blogging fast is a constructive response. What IS a constructive response to this, other than talking about the importance of safe digital social networking, digital citizenship, respect for others, etc. in our own localities? I’m not sure.
Check out Wesley's new ebook, "Mapping Media to the Common Core: Volume I." (2013) It's $15!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Common Core / Curriculum."
On this day..
- Oklahomans Against High Stakes Testing Worship - 2012
- Unwrapping Common Core State Standards and Unit Planning (Deer Creek Public Schools) - 2012
- Flip Video Session Recording - With a Tripod! - 2010
- Forget the iPad - The MacBook Wheel is what you really want - 2010
- The Thursday Folder and Worksheet Measured Learning - 2009
- Join the Digital Literacy debate - Live! - 2009
- Exploring differences in preteen social networking sites - 2008
- Blogs, Wikis, District Polices, Walled Gardens and the Open Web - 2008
- An iPhone SMS poll demo over videoconference - 2008
- Sorry honey, you can't believe everything you read in your printed science textbook - 2008