I am exceedingly troubled to read Kathy Sierra’s post from yesterday, “Death threats against bloggers are NOT ‘protected speech’ (why I cancelled my ETech presentations).”
I’m not entirely sure what to say. That doesn’t happen often.
I hope law enforcement officials can find and prosecute those behind these malicious and damaging virtual attacks.
My prayers are with you, Kathy. What a sad thing it is to see digital tools used to incite fear and bludgeon the psyche of any human being. When that person is someone we know, even if our “knowing” is at an intellectual level due to the virtual window blogs provide into the mind and thinking of that person, our feeling of sadness can be even even more acute.
Andy Carvin and Robert Scoble are proposing a blogging fast in response. I’m attending a conference this week, so if I stop blogging I’m afraid I might stop learning 90% of the things I’m going to hear in the next few days… I’m also not sure if a blogging fast is a constructive response. What IS a constructive response to this, other than talking about the importance of safe digital social networking, digital citizenship, respect for others, etc. in our own localities? I’m not sure.
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide! MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Advice for Responding to and Protecting Against Phishing Email Attacks - 2019
- Visualize Tweets on a Map with Avian for AppleTV - 2017
- FaceTime Connection During a Tornado Warning - 2015
- Oklahomans Against High Stakes Testing Worship - 2012
- Unwrapping Common Core State Standards and Unit Planning (Deer Creek Public Schools) - 2012
- Flip Video Session Recording - With a Tripod! - 2010
- Forget the iPad - The MacBook Wheel is what you really want - 2010
- The Thursday Folder and Worksheet Measured Learning - 2009
- Join the Digital Literacy debate - Live! - 2009
- Exploring differences in preteen social networking sites - 2008