This podcast is a recording of a session I co-presented with Miguel Guhlin at the Southwest TechForum in Austin on November 2, 2007. Whether we’re with them or not, today’s young people are venturing into the virtual world, where they face challenges of the sort we could hardly have dreamed of a few decades ago. If we ban new technologies in schools we are not protecting our students from them; we’re simply asking them to venture into this new world alone. Just as adults must help young people learn to drive before setting them loose behind the wheel of a car, we have a responsibility to help our students and children learn how to safely navigate the virtual environments of the 21st Century. In this session we will explore how to be proactive rather than merely defensive, how to reassure community members without ignoring real dangers, and how to help students make the connections and participate in the collaborations that are crucial to digital citizenship today.
- Miguel’s blog, “Around the Corner”
- My presentation resources and links related to internet safety, cyberbullying prevention, and safe online social networking
Subscribe to “Moving at the Speed of Creativity” weekly podcast!
Receive an email alert whenever a new Speed of Creativity podcast is published!
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide!MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Make Balance and Intentionality Your Screentime Education Goal - 2019
- Using ffWorks and FFmpeg for Video Compression - 2018
- Gangnam Style Videos: USNA vs USAFA vs Westpoint - 2012
- iPhoto '11 First Impressions - 2010
- UNT Socialists Protest Upcoming Speech by former President Bush - 2010
- Amazed by Student Creativity Using Scratch! - 2010
- RockMelt: A Chrome-based Browser for the Facebook Generation - 2010
- Riding the Shanghai Maglev at 267 miles per hour (431 km/hr) - 2009
- Boingo WiFi Charges in China - 2009
- Exploring, Learning and Communicating with Wordle - 2008