Last week I spent some late hours in the evenings migrating my primary blog (this one) as well as “Eyes Right” to a new web host, and this evening I’m pleased to report my other two personal blogs (“Learning Signs” and “Talking Science”) have now also made the journey to Siteground successfully. POWWEB reports they have “resolved the connectivity issues” which caused my main blog to go completely offline last week for more than 24 hours– but that is too little, too late from the perspective of this customer.
As was the case with the first two WordPress blogs I moved over, I was unable to do a comprehensive import of the MySQL databases for some reason– but had to export and import my data one table at a time. I am not sure what accounted for this, and it was more time consuming, but I am relieved as well as pleased that the process WORKED and all my data now resides on my new ISP’s servers.
The main difficulty I ran into this evening was attributable to the fact that I had not previously upgraded my WordPress version on the “Talking Science” blog (mainly because that blog hasn’t been active since May) and the newer WordPress files I had uploaded to my new server wouldn’t work with my old database. I had to upload all my old WordPress files from the previous server, verify settings, upload the new WordPress version, and then upgrade my database via WordPress. This took awhile, but the deeds are done, and I am pleased.
Goodbye POWWEB, hello Siteground. Hopefully we can all say goodbye to MySQL connection timeouts on all my blogs.
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide!MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- You Must Watch This: We Need Educational Change But Not High Stakes Accountability - 2014
- Pooh's Special Friend Week: VoiceThread and YouTube on an iPad - 2011
- Donate to the Red Cross for Haiti Relief - Be wise and tech saavy - 2010
- Lecturecasting on a Shoestring with a Macbook, Ustream, CamTwist, MPEG Streamclip and Blip.tv - 2010
- Federal or State Responsibility for Education and Inequitable Education Funding Formulas - 2009
- Organizer Mac software, California Dreamin' (MacWorld08) - 2008
- Gang signed vandalism at my Oklahoma City parking garage last night - 2008
- Verify software is reputable and malware free before downloading - 2008
- Addressing the lurkers - 2007
- Cold day in Colorado - 2007