Last week I spent some late hours in the evenings migrating my primary blog (this one) as well as “Eyes Right” to a new web host, and this evening I’m pleased to report my other two personal blogs (“Learning Signs” and “Talking Science”) have now also made the journey to Siteground successfully. POWWEB reports they have “resolved the connectivity issues” which caused my main blog to go completely offline last week for more than 24 hours– but that is too little, too late from the perspective of this customer.
As was the case with the first two WordPress blogs I moved over, I was unable to do a comprehensive import of the MySQL databases for some reason– but had to export and import my data one table at a time. I am not sure what accounted for this, and it was more time consuming, but I am relieved as well as pleased that the process WORKED and all my data now resides on my new ISP’s servers.
The main difficulty I ran into this evening was attributable to the fact that I had not previously upgraded my WordPress version on the “Talking Science” blog (mainly because that blog hasn’t been active since May) and the newer WordPress files I had uploaded to my new server wouldn’t work with my old database. I had to upload all my old WordPress files from the previous server, verify settings, upload the new WordPress version, and then upgrade my database via WordPress. This took awhile, but the deeds are done, and I am pleased.
Goodbye POWWEB, hello Siteground. Hopefully we can all say goodbye to MySQL connection timeouts on all my blogs.
Did you know Wes has published 3 eBooks, and 1 of them is available free? Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Common Core / Curriculum."
On this day..
- You Must Watch This: We Need Educational Change But Not High Stakes Accountability - 2014
- Pooh's Special Friend Week: VoiceThread and YouTube on an iPad - 2011
- Donate to the Red Cross for Haiti Relief - Be wise and tech saavy - 2010
- Lecturecasting on a Shoestring with a Macbook, Ustream, CamTwist, MPEG Streamclip and Blip.tv - 2010
- Federal or State Responsibility for Education and Inequitable Education Funding Formulas - 2009
- Organizer Mac software, California Dreamin' (MacWorld08) - 2008
- Gang signed vandalism at my Oklahoma City parking garage last night - 2008
- Verify software is reputable and malware free before downloading - 2008
- Addressing the lurkers - 2007
- Cold day in Colorado - 2007