Yesterday and today I led half-day workshops on “Cell Phone Digital Storytelling” at the 2009 ITSC (Instructional Technologies Strategies Conference) in Portland, Oregon. We focused on using the websites GabCast and VoiceThread. This is the VoiceThread participants created, sharing their feedback about Sir Ken Robinson’s Sunday night keynote as well as their overall “takeaways” from the conference.
I also demonstrated the website Qik today, which permits people (with certain cell phones) to webcast live and archive those videos directly on the Internet. I interviewed Steve Dembo from Discovery Education (who was teaching next to me both days at ITSC) about his thoughts on Qik as well as the BYOL (bring your own laptop) format of ITSC.
I also shared some birthday greetings via Qik with my sister via Learning signs. My workshop participants even sang to here from here in Portland.
We’re living the “publish at will” era. It’s exciting to explore the constructive ways mobile phones can be used with students to support learning and extend learning beyond the traditional boundaries of the bell.
Check out Wesley's new ebook, "Mapping Media to the Common Core: Volume I." (2013) It's $15!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Common Core / Curriculum."
On this day..
- Digital Literacy (for iPad wielding learners in Dodge City, Kansas) - 2014
- GeoMap Comparison of Cellular Data Speeds Between OKC and Dodge City - 2014
- Remembering the Importance of Creativity in a High Stakes Testing School Culture - 2013
- Options & Tips for Migrating a Posterous site to WordPress, Tumblr, or Posthaven - 2013
- Teacher Blog Controversy in Pennsylvania Points to Need for Social Media Guidelines - 2011
- Photo Geotagging Poses Privacy Risks, But Is NOT a Reason for Panic - 2011
- Will Race to the Top Hurt Kids and Make Charter School Entrepreneurs Rich? - 2010
- Tips to be a better blogger - 2010
- Attribution links in VoiceThreads - 2010
- Marco Torres Keynote: ITSC 2009 Portland - 2009