Last week at our Oklahoma Technology Association‘s annual conference, high school journalism teacher Tammy Parks shared a presentation titled “Student-Created Virtual Field Trips: Howe Public Schools Live and On Location!” In the presentation, Tammy showed how one of her students has been using Skype to conduct interviews over video with national school organization presidents around the United States. This video, “Skype in the classroom,” is now available on the Celebrate Oklahoma Voices learning community. This is a great example of how Skype can be and IS being used by students AT SCHOOL to open up new avenues of learning as well as collaboration.
Mrs. Parks’ students are continuing to conduct a “Collaboration 2.0” project in which they interview different professionals from different careers over video as part of their journalism class.
For more about using Skype in the classroom for videoconferencing, check out Brian Crosby‘s excellent presentation “Video-Conferencing It’s Easy, Free and Powerful” for the 2008 K-12 Online Conference. Also check out Neil Stephenson’s post on ISTEconnects from earlier this week, “The Many Roles of Skype in the Classroom.” I have more resources relating to videoconferencing in the classroom on my wiki curriculum page, “Videoconferencing Collaborations and Virtual Field Trips.”
Last of all, be sure to check out the online home of the weekly news broadcast “CLE Live!” from Howe Public Schools, where Tammy Parks teaches.
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Curriculum."
On this day..
- Tweeting Our Learning in USD 383 - Manhattan, Kansas - 2015
- Educational Vouchers are a BAD Idea for Oklahoma Students and Families (HB 3398) - 2014
- Podcast399: Cell Phone Digital Storytelling with Narrable - An Interview with Dustin Curzon - 2013
- A Story About Plagiarsim and Group Projects - 2013
- A Story About Parental Feedback on a Student Blog - 2012
- Another good reason for 1:1 learning at college - 2010
- Join in book talk conversations about Little Brother by Cory Doctorow - 2009
- Does your organization embrace innovation and creativity, or seek to shoot change agents? - 2009
- Mathcasts and Presidential reports on VoiceThread - 2008
- Boundaries of IM and SMS messaging with students - 2008