The Pope is encouraging priests worldwide to blog. This is a significant announcement from a relatively old international organization that traditionally is very conservative. What about teachers in your school? What about students as they complete assignments for classes? Who is blogging with the formal endorsement and support of school officials? Perhaps school officials in your area share concerns over the transparency which blogging can provide. According to NPR’s report Monday:
“If people live in cyberspace then the Church ought to be in cyberspace” says Father Brian Paulson S.J. a Jesuit priest in Chicago. Paulson will soon head up a community of about 80 priests and seminarians, some of whom blog, and one of his concerns with the Pope’s mandate is quality. He worries that blogs that don’t pay close enough attention to the Church’s teachings or are written poorly will turn people away rather than attract them.
If priests are blogging heresy they are almost certainly preaching it too. I’d offer that sort of transparency is instructive and helpful, rather than undesirable.
Open the windows. Bring forth thy blogs.
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide! MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- MinistrySafe Online Video Training for Youth Protection from Sexual Abuse - 2012
- Calculate and Learn about Percentages with Percentage Calculator - 2012
- Configure KidBlog for Safe, Moderated, Interactive Student Blogging & Commenting - 2012
- Highlights from Today's Technology Leadership Workshop in Missoula, MT #mtvision - 2011
- Backchannel with Etherpad Experiences - 2010
- AMTRAK discount for NECC 2009 - 2009
- Physics of light and temperature - 2008
- Oil, Corruption, Development, Violence and Hope - 2007
- Oversimplifying TxTIP year 1 results - 2006
- Linking can be law breaking? - 2006