The Pope is encouraging priests worldwide to blog. This is a significant announcement from a relatively old international organization that traditionally is very conservative. What about teachers in your school? What about students as they complete assignments for classes? Who is blogging with the formal endorsement and support of school officials? Perhaps school officials in your area share concerns over the transparency which blogging can provide. According to NPR’s report Monday:
“If people live in cyberspace then the Church ought to be in cyberspace” says Father Brian Paulson S.J. a Jesuit priest in Chicago. Paulson will soon head up a community of about 80 priests and seminarians, some of whom blog, and one of his concerns with the Pope’s mandate is quality. He worries that blogs that don’t pay close enough attention to the Church’s teachings or are written poorly will turn people away rather than attract them.
If priests are blogging heresy they are almost certainly preaching it too. I’d offer that sort of transparency is instructive and helpful, rather than undesirable.
Open the windows. Bring forth thy blogs.
Please support my STEM classroom Donor's Choose project: "Applying STEM Skills with Robotic Sphero Balls. Use the promo code INSPIRE at checkout to double your donation (up to $100) thanks to a match from DonorsChoose.org.
Did you know Wes has published 3 eBooks, and 1 of them is available free? Check them out!Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Common Core / Curriculum."
On this day..
- MinistrySafe Online Video Training for Youth Protection from Sexual Abuse - 2012
- Calculate and Learn about Percentages with Percentage Calculator - 2012
- Configure KidBlog for Safe, Moderated, Interactive Student Blogging & Commenting - 2012
- Highlights from Today's Technology Leadership Workshop in Missoula, MT #mtvision - 2011
- Backchannel with Etherpad Experiences - 2010
- AMTRAK discount for NECC 2009 - 2009
- Physics of light and temperature - 2008
- Oil, Corruption, Development, Violence and Hope - 2007
- Oversimplifying TxTIP year 1 results - 2006
- Linking can be law breaking? - 2006