For our “Digital Storytelling” cohort at the Learning 2.011 Conference in Shanghai this week, Sheldon Bradshaw and I wanted to create an interactive space for participants to share rich media. The easiest way to do this is via a free Posterous blog, configured for ANYONE to post to the blog using a shared email address. Contributions are moderated, along with comments. The problem with this in China is the national firewall: Posterous.com is blocked by the government, so to access Posterous blogs a VPN solution like Astrill or a Proxy service must be used. To address this problem, Sheldon created a WordPress blog on his school server (running WordPress MU) and we configured our Posterous site to cross-post to that China-based blog site. With this setup, we have two websites (blogs.wab.edu/dslearning2011 and dslearning2011.posterous.com) which are “mirrors” of each other. Sheldon and I recorded a six minute podcast discussing this configuration today using the free iOS Soundcloud app and an iRig microphone. I’m particularly impressed Sheldon has integrated their WordPress MU installation with their active directory for school, so new students and staff automatically have login access to WordPress when their “main account” is created in their school information system.
Check out Wesley's new ebook, "Mapping Media to the Common Core: Volume I." (2013) It's $15!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Common Core / Curriculum."
On this day..
- Supporting Children of Incarcerated Parents (Narrated Slideshow) - 2013
- Great tips for using iOS devices for classroom audio recording - 2010
- Lessons learned using PowerPoint Jeopardy Template (game) - 2010
- Great experiences today with Google Moderator and Wimba discussing Copyright - 2009
- Using Blogs and CoverItLive to Discuss President Obama's Speech - 2009
- Assume your inbox is public record - 2008
- Podcast189E: Things Mid-Del Learning Leaders Are Passionate About - 2007
- Convergence: iTunes and Cell Phones, iPod nano - 2005
- Reading Like Writers - 2005