A new two hour documentary film was released in select U.S. theaters this fall about teaching and public education: American Teacher. It’s a direct response to last year’s “Waiting for Superman” movie, which (among other things) cast teacher unions as demons in educational improvement debates. See my October 2010 post, “Waiting For Superman: A Good Film to Provoke Conversations We Need” for more background.
I have not seen “American Teacher” yet, but the previews look excellent. It’s strange to learn, however (via Dana Goldstein) the film never addresses the contentious issues of teacher unions, testing, or merit pay based on student test results.
Check out the official movie trailer as well as introductory videos about the four teachers highlighted in the documentary film. I hope to see this movie soon.
A list of upcoming screenings of this movie around the United States is available, along with instructions about screening the film in your area. Follow the project on Twitter @teachersalary. I hope someone will take the lead and bring this film to Oklahoma City.
Hat tip to Mary Frances Agnello for sharing this film.
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide!MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Sharing Learning from Miami Device 2015 - 2015
- Green Screen Photo Station at our Fall Festival - 2014
- Educators Rejoice! YouTube Permits Moderated Video Comments By Default - 2013
- Dewey on Book Work and Opportunities for Mistakes - 2011
- Create a subdomain for a website as an add-on slot - 2011
- Mobile Digital Storytelling with StoryKit, Storyrobe, and SonicPics #edapp - 2010
- Talking K12Online09 on Seedlings - 2009
- Larry Lessig Explains Why We Don't Trust Congress - 2008
- Mac using Netflix Users: Start your engines! - 2008
- Jim Stovall discusses The Ultimate Gift - 2008