A new two hour documentary film was released in select U.S. theaters this fall about teaching and public education: American Teacher. It’s a direct response to last year’s “Waiting for Superman” movie, which (among other things) cast teacher unions as demons in educational improvement debates. See my October 2010 post, “Waiting For Superman: A Good Film to Provoke Conversations We Need” for more background.
I have not seen “American Teacher” yet, but the previews look excellent. It’s strange to learn, however (via Dana Goldstein) the film never addresses the contentious issues of teacher unions, testing, or merit pay based on student test results.
Check out the official movie trailer as well as introductory videos about the four teachers highlighted in the documentary film. I hope to see this movie soon.
A list of upcoming screenings of this movie around the United States is available, along with instructions about screening the film in your area. Follow the project on Twitter @teachersalary. I hope someone will take the lead and bring this film to Oklahoma City.
Hat tip to Mary Frances Agnello for sharing this film.
Did you know Wes has published 3 eBooks, and 1 of them is available free? Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Common Core / Curriculum."
On this day..
- Educators Rejoice! YouTube Permits Moderated Video Comments By Default - 2013
- Dewey on Book Work and Opportunities for Mistakes - 2011
- Create a subdomain for a website as an add-on slot - 2011
- Mobile Digital Storytelling with StoryKit, Storyrobe, and SonicPics #edapp - 2010
- Talking K12Online09 on Seedlings - 2009
- Larry Lessig Explains Why We Don't Trust Congress - 2008
- Mac using Netflix Users: Start your engines! - 2008
- Jim Stovall discusses The Ultimate Gift - 2008
- Hello World: Meet the Tandberg Mobile Commander! - 2008
- Podcast292V: Blogging - The New Conversation - 2008