As a 1:1 educator and educational technology integration specialist, when Wes asked me if I’d like to contribute a #playingwithmedia post for his blog I jumped on the opportunity. I work at Grand View, a rural PK-8 district in Cherokee County, Oklahoma. Our summer camp is in full swing, and we have students working to collect family stories with ipods, planning garden plots, creating community service project proposals, making edible poop and boogers (!), and a slew of electives ranging from website design to line dancing. I pondered, in between mentoring students on their projects and improvisational games in drama class, which project should I highlight? Then a funny thing happened…our students suddenly sprouted beards.
The Grand View students were THUNDERed UP!
Check out Grand View's THUNDER UP video on our school youtube channel.
Oklahoma City’s NBA team, the Thunder, are in the NBA Finals. Even though we live in northeastern Oklahoma, we support OUR team! The school, and really I think the WHOLE state, is fired up about THUNDER basketball. As a teacher, sometimes you strike while the iron is hot. Grand View’s 6th-8th grade students grabbed a few friends and cameras then started capturing pictures and videos.
We spent about an hour taking photographs and TALKING about how the team has inspired us and taught us about teamwork, and ultimately we had fun together as a school family.
Game 2 of the NBA Finals is tonight at 8pm CST- Grand View hopes you’ll join us and THUNDER UP!
The amazing songs featured in our video are used with permission and created by Chris Castor. Check him out on YouTube .
Did you know Wes has published 9 eBooks, and 1 of them is available free? Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Curriculum."
On this day..
- Prevent Spiders and Bugs from Getting In a Garage Tornado Shelter - 2014
- Get Arabic and English News Perspectives on Meedan.net - 2010
- Mining could transform the economy of Afghanistan - 2010
- Pro-Envelope lobby fighting paperless movement - 2010
- Podcast321: Getting a Global Perspective - The Power of Collaborative Projects by Dyane Smokorowski - 2009
- Momentous evening of family co-learning with WordPress - 2008
- VoiceThread archival export and comment moderation experiences - 2008
- links for 2008-06-14 - 2008
- New link for Mother's Day Podcasts - 2007
- Blogging can make you smarter - 2007