Welcome to Episode 466 of the Moving at the Speed of Creativity podcast, a show by Dr. Wesley Fryer (@wfryer) focusing on digital creativity, media literacy, digital literacy, digital citizenship, instructional technology integration and engaged learning both inside and outside the classroom. This episode features an interview with Michaela Freeland (@_mfreeland) and Shelly Fryer (@sfryer) about the two summer robotics camps they co-led using Thymio robots and outstanding curriculum provided by TechyKids. TechyKids (www.techykids.com) was founded by Sharon Marzouk (@sharonmarzouk) and focuses on inspiring students through a “blend of robotics, creativity, technology, and invention.” In this 35 minute interview, Michaela and Shelly share their experiences and learning from leading two robotics camps with 32 and 28 student participants, respectively, and discuss many of the camp highlights as well as lessons learned by students, older student mentors, teachers and parents. Students engaged in daily reflections during these summer camps, and both recorded and shared with their parents their learning using the platform Seesaw (@Seesaw). Casady School in Oklahoma City hosted both of these camps, which were part of the summer “Casady by the Lake” enrichment program open to all students in and around Oklahoma City. Check out the podcast shownotes for links to TechyKids as well as other resources mentioned by Michaela and Shelly in this interview. If you are inspired to offer a robotics and invention camp in your local area after listening to this podcast, or have questions, please reach out to Michaela or Shelly and let them know!
- Subscribe to Moving at the Speed of Creativity Podcasts
- Michaela Freeland (@_mfreeland)
- Shelly Fryer (@sfryer) – Blog
- Wes Fryer (@wfryer) – Blog
- TechyKids.com (@techykids)
- Student Projects and Presentations shared on TechyKids.com
- TechyKids Camp Out of The Box
- Thymio Robot by TechyKids
- Getting Started with Thymio Robot (links to “Aseba Studio for Thymio” software)
- Green Screen by Do Ink (@DoInkTweets)
- Association of of Technology Leaders in Independent Schools Conference (@theatlis)
- Seesaw Learning Journals (@seesaw)
- The Future of Education TEDx Talk by Sharon Marzouk (TEDxWoodsidePriorySchool)
- Casady School in Oklahoma City (@casadyschoolokc)
- Casady School Summer Programs / Summer By The Lake Registration
- Shelly Fryer’s Scratch Club Resources
All past “Moving at the Speed of Creativity” podcast episodes are archived, dating back to August 2005.
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide!MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Planning for Smart School Network Management - 2015
- Use IFTTT to Auto-Tweet New Posts from Your Classroom Blog - 2013
- Reflections from the M - 2011
- We Need More Hawkeyes - 2010
- Moving Beyond the Tools.....How Do We Implement Them? - 2010
- Are virtual interactions REAL? A video answer from @danlovejoy - 2009
- New media changing journalism norms - 2009
- Helping young people prepare for IT related careers - 2008
- Videos for Professional Development - 2007
- Learning with the Podcast Shuffle - 2005