I’m spending several days this week in and near Tahlequah, Oklahoma, leading a Celebrate Oklahoma Voices digital storytelling workshop for Storychasers at Lowrey School. Lowrey is one of just five public school districts in Oklahoma implementing a 1:1 laptop initiative, and is located about thirty minutes north of Tahlequah. This evening after I tweeted about driving to Tahlequah, Kelly Croy tweeted:
Tahlequah is where Billy Coleman picked up his dogs at the train depot in Where The Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls. Take pics pls.
I certainly will take photos in and around Tahlequah this week, but Kelly’s tweet reminded me of Amy Brookshire’s COV video about Wilson Rawls. It’s just over two minutes long, and gives an excellent (as well as personal) biographical snapshot of Rawls.
Students of Stilwell, Oklahoma teacher Andrea created another digital story about Wilson Rawls. (2 min, 10 sec) Rawls’ story of becoming a writer through persistence, despite his lack of formal education, is inspiring and may come as a surprise to many readers.
It’s nice to compare these two videos as examples of teacher-created and student-created digital stories. If your students have read or will read “Where the Red Fern Grows,” consider using one or both of these videos as part of your author study about Wilson Rawls.
It’s been a few months since I led a COV workshop, and I’m looking forward to working with teachers at Lowrey this week who will create and share their own digital stories! We now have 567 videos in our Celebrate Oklahoma Voices learning community, created by Oklahoma teachers and students.
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, subscribe to Wes' free newsletter. Check out Wes' video tutorial library, "Playing with Media." Information about more ways to learn with Dr. Wesley Fryer are available on wesfryer.com/after.
On this day..
- STEM, iPad & Google Workshops in June 2015 - 2015
- Technology & Innovation in Education by Jaime Casap - 2012
- Using ARIS to Create Interactive, Multimedia Enhanced Field Trips by Wes Molyneaux - 2012
- Why Every Teacher Should Become an App Creator by Chris Thompson - 2012
- Blended, Continuous Learning in the 21st Century Military - 2011
- Finger Puppet Videography with the iPad2: Lessons Learned - 2011
- Celebrate National Library Week with Fabrarians: Freeze-n-Read! - 2010
- Who Will Save Journalism? We will! - 2009
- Google Sites as a classroom learning portal - 2008
- If you just want to play games online, don't get an XO - 2008