These are my notes from Stephen Best‘s presentation, “Do the Mash: Mixing Tools to Create a Custom Cloud-Based Learning Tool” at the “Teaching and Learning in the Cloud Conference” in Holland, Michigan on 21 Oct 2010. MY THOUGHTS ARE IN ALL CAPS. All of Stephen’s resources are listed on his conference session page. THIS IS A GOOD SET OF TOOL LINKS.
We are going to use the analogy of a “pizza” to discuss these tools.
Think of these first tools as the crust:
General Publishing Tools:
After we get our base (bread and dough) then we cut and paste stuff to put in/on it. No one wants to eat pizza that doesn’t have anything on it! That’s called bread, not pizza.
I THINK THIS ANALOGY IS GOOD.
SlideShare is the only site I’ve found to date which lets us users upload Keynote presentations. Free version of SlideShare is limited to 100 MB total. (I AM THINKING YOU GET 100 MB PER PRESO?)
I LIKE HOW THE DEMO OF PREZI HE IS USING IS SET UP AS A WHEEL:
Sliderocket also permits live presentations, like for a webinar. (I NEED TO GIVE THIS A TRY!)
Next set of tools are video tools:
Media Sharing Tools – Video
I THINK PODESK LOOKS GREAT! SIMILAR TO PODCAST PRODUCER BUT FOR VIDEO, AND THE APP DOES ENCODING! CROSS PLATFORM TOO! WOULD BE GOOD FOR HOME GROWN VIDEO LECTURECASTS, LIKE I AM DOING WITH AUDIO LECTURECASTS THIS YEAR!
Pro version of Screencast-o-matic let’s you record and publish up to an hour each, $9 per year
When you consider using free tools, ask yourself if that company is going to stay around for the long term.
STEPHEN’S EXPLANATION DURING THE SESSION OF CREATIVE COMMONS IMAGES ON FLICKR CONTAINED AN INACCURACY. HE SAID ALL FLICKR CC IMAGES CANNOT BE USED FOR COMMERCIAL PURPOSES. THAT IS NOT TRUE FOR FLICKR CC ATTRIBUTION ONLY IMAGES. THEY CAN BE USED COMMERCIALLY WITH ATTRIBUTION.
Aviary Hall of Fame has great gallery of images
– free Google Apps add-on for Aviary is available (plug in)
Scribd documents are searchable in their embedded form.
Other Apps to Share:
http://cloudapp.com/ is great for transferring large files, there is no size restriction.
http://www.imaginationcubed.com/ is a great site for creative drawing online. (MUST BE ALL FLASH BASED, NO ALT HTML5 VERSION IS AVAILABLE ON THE iPAD.)
YouTube is the most used search tool now for our students doing their homework. It is THE best site of all these sites. And it is blocked in 90% of our schools.
MORE REASONS TO ADVOCATE FOR BALANCED CONTENT FILTERING IN SCHOOLS!
BigBlueButton is an open source project that is built on over fourteen open source components to create an integrated web conferencing system that runs on mac, unix, or PC computers. In the true sense of open source, we invite you to try out and participate in our project.
– Posted using BlogPress from my iPad
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, subscribe to Wes' free newsletter. Check out Wes' video tutorial library, "Playing with Media." Information about more ways to learn with Dr. Wesley Fryer are available on wesfryer.com/after.
On this day..
- Great STEM Conversations About Perimeter in MinecraftEDU - 2014
- Learning More About Visual Notetaking (Authorized Drawing in Class!) - 2013
- Kansas Honor Flight: October 2012 (Narrated Slideshow) - 2012
- 2012 K12Online Conference Starts Today! - 2012
- Post a Photo to a Photo 365 or 180 Blog - 2011
- Great Ideas from the Fall 2011 DEN Virtual Conference (part 2) - 2011
- Great Ideas from the Fall 2011 DEN Virtual Conference (part 1) - 2011
- Action Research: What Do We Know About Learning in the Cloud? - 2010
- Powerful and Free Tools from the Cloud by Rushton Hurley - 2010
- Beautiful Kansas fall colors and more iPhone panoramic picture fun with Pano - 2009