This post from Tim Tyson on August 2nd appears to confirm my worst fears about the 1:1 laptop initiative in Cobb County, Georgia have been realized. 🙁
On the bright side, I took time today in the car to listen to Bob Sprankle’s Bit by Bit podcast from July 13th, which included a speech by former Maine governor Angus King about our nation’s dire need for 21st Century learning as embodied in the Maine Technology Learning Initiative. His quotations from Friedman’s book “The World is Flat” were timely and right on target. I had previously read a fair bit about former Governor King but had never heard his voice. What a great impression he makes!
I hope the voters of Maine will be more forward looking than the voters and administrative leaders of Cobb County, Georgia, when it comes to 1:1 learning initiatives.
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide!MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Create and Share InfoPics to Show What You Know - 2017
- Automate Email Updates to Parents from Your Classroom Blog - 2012
- Using Social Media to Improve Classroom and School Communications - 2012
- Adventure Based Learning by Brian Dufresne #wildtech - 2011
- Capture: Setting Up Traps to Organize Mountains of Information #wildtech - 2011
- Trends, Tools & Tactics for 21st Century Learning #wildtech - 2011
- Smart Networks #wildtech - 2011
- iPhone Videography from Glacier National Park - 2011
- Storychasing the 2008 XIT Rodeo and Ranch - 2008
- This is why we have so few laptop initiatives in Oklahoma - 2008